Chapter 13

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After Travis spoke, he looked at my face carefully trying to gauge my reaction. His eyes were searching mine, but I wasn't revealing anything. He seemed to be on edge now.

He was in Nightshade? Travis, my overprotective, caring brother, was from the ruthless Nightshade Pack?

I sat a moment, taking all of this information in, trying to process it. This was so far fetched that I couldn't even begin to wrap my mind around it. I had never thought that Travis was in Damion's pack. I never even entertained the idea.

But now that I think back, it makes complete sense. Travis never wanted to discuss his past. He got upset when anyone asked him or tried to talk about his past. I was pretty sure Jessica was the only one that knew besides me now.

"You don't hate me do you?"

Breaking my train of thought, I focused on Travis again. I let an expression of confusion take over my features. "Why would I hate you?" Where would he get that idea?

"Nightshade took your family and pack away from you. They took the life you were supposed to have, away. I was apart of that pack Tori."

Snorting, I gazed up at him. "You're not anymore."

It seemed my words gave him a feeling of relief because he let out a relaxed sigh. Travis' features untensed and the panic left his eyes. "Thank god."

"Why did you leave?" When I asked the question, he was rubbing his hands across his face in a tired fashion.

Dropping his hands, he answered with, "Why did I leave from where?" Travis didn't even appear to look like he knew what I was talking about. He truly looked confused.

Sometimes I really worry about Travis. His ability to be this brainless baffles me.

Shaking my head I said, "Why did you leave the Nightshade Pack?"

The confusion left only to be replaced with panic and worry again. "Um, uh. . . Why do we need to talk about that? We already discussed where I came from. Isn't that enough," his voice came out hopefully.

I gave him a flat look. "We briefly talked about it. You know everything that happened to me. Now I want to know what happened to you." My voice was leaving no room for argument and my gaze was never wavering.

If he thinks he's getting out of this, he is in for a surprise! I will get this out of him one way or another. Travis has kept this hidden from me for three years and even longer for everybody else!

Travis just evened his gaze with mine but I didn't look away. I just stared intensely back, letting him know I was being dead serious.

If this little stare off is his way of trying to intimidate me, it's not going to work.

With a dejected sigh, Travis closed his eyes and let his head fall back onto the sofa. "What do you want to know?"

Rolling my eyes I said, "Everything."

Sitting up now, Travis looked at me. Once again his facial expression was one of worry. "If I tell you about my past, you have to promise me you won't look at me any different than you do now." He was staring deeply in my eyes. "Promise me this won't change anything."

Dropping my own head back and letting out an annoyed huff I said, "Travis! We've been over this!" Throwing my hands up in the air in an irritated gesture, I turned to face him again. "I won't hate you ever Travis. I don't hate you for something you had no control of."

"But what if I did?"

The question threw me off. What is he saying?

A sliver of fear seeped into my heart. "What do you mean? You weren't there when my pack got attacked."