Chapter Twenty

“And, could we lift the veil, and give

One brief glimpse to thine eye,

Thou wouldst rejoice for those that live,

Because they live to die.”                                    

A Day Dream - Bronte

As the sun peaked over the horizon across the calm sea there was not a Fallen to be seen. The continuous ripple of water was all that greeted Tamar as she lay there, recounting the night before.

She remembered the silence whilst his words sunk in. And then she saw them attacking, shoving past her, she was no longer important. The key to fulfilment was stood before them and their greed gave way to desire. The Noble disappeared from sight. The Clarities bounded onto the sand but the Fallens would not let them pass without a fight. Elior broke free from his captors as they charged and threw his arms around Tamar as she tried save the man who had just sacrificed himself for her, a stranger who she had scarcely believed in until it was almost too late. She screamed, kicked, sobbed. It was so unjust. She felt his pain as his cries cut through her. The rage of war blurred into one. They left no time for rituals, only bloodshed mattered. The Fallens murdered for glory as the Clarities were restrained and rendered helpless.

Either side of violence, the Clarities had grouped together as the crowd dispersed. And there lying bloodied and broken between them was The Noble; barely recognisable. Chunks of hair had been ripped from his beard and blood wept from innumerable wounds. Fresh bruises quickly purpled much of the skin visible through torn clothes. As they gathered closer, gurgled coughs greeted them. The Fallens turned and waited. Before any were by his side, he breathed his last. The job was done. Clarities fell to their knees in despair. Tamar could hear nothing but the beating of her heart. The darkness descended.

Tamar sat up and looked around. She was still right next to the shore, pebbles imprinted on her face where she had slumbered. The Fallens had left the scene of the crime, but every Clarity still slept where they had dropped. Tamar soon realised the darkness had not only surrounded her but everyone, everyone had passed out the moment she had. But it seemed the Fallens had awoken first, yet left the rest of them unharmed? She counted this small blessing but dreaded to think of what would become of the Radiance Lands and its people now the Fallens had the key. Tears rolled down her cheeks as she stood and turned to check on her brothers, Elior and the rest. They, like her, now slept where they had stood. The morning sun illuminated their bruised and scratched skin. All she wanted was home. She’d come so close to losing everything, yet it still felt like she had. With grim expectance she searched for the last sight her eyes had glimpsed before they closed the night before. But he wasn’t there. Dry blood stained the shingle but the body did not rest on it. She began to cry harder as she imagined what the Fallens had done with The Noble’s poor body.

“They do not have me.” said a gentle voice behind her. She turned so quickly she almost tripped over her own feet. And there, unbroken, the Noble stood smiling.

“But how - they killed - how - impossible.” she spluttered.

“It is finished, Tamar.” he assured her. “All have misunderstood the legends of my purpose, as the Fallen people discovered when they awoke to find me waiting for them. They have fled.”

“Come,” he beckoned, “sit with me.” he turned out to sea and settled himself on the pebbles. Tamar found the mechanics of her legs momentarily unconnected to her brain as she waited a few seconds before she could move to sit with this living miracle.