Chapter Eleven

Just a little chapter but a very important one! Thanks for reading!

            ----------------------

When desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full grown, brings forth death.

James 1:15

As they entered the ballroom together a crowd seemed to be waiting for them. What was casual conversation a moment ago was now hushed to gossiping whispers. Ryu stood, arms folded in the centre of the room. Elior strode out to meet him.

“What’s going on Ryu? What have you started this time?” Elior demanded.

“Just setting the scene dear Elior.” Ryu patronized, strolling to stage left.

Tamar stopped next to Elior as the crowds seemed to part before them. He was frowning with suspicion. All were gawping at the new comer as he strode confidently through the room, heading straight in their direction. Tamar’s jaw hit the floor as Abednego gave her a wicked grin. He was unusually suave and she’d never seen him look so ominous. She was lost for words. He could never have come so far into the Sept without being attacked unless... no, he couldn’t be. It was impossible. Abednego would never Fall.

All Tamar could do was stare at him, waiting for an explanation. But she needed to get him out of here. Eyes began to flit between the two of them, Elior included. She stepped toward him as he grinned once more, then raising his arm he pointed accusingly at Tamar.

“She,” he paused dramatically, “was never truly of the Radiance Lands.” He revealed as Tamar gasped. “Her Fall is a lie.”

And before their eyes Abednego’s features lifted and evaporated. The wicked smile that had looked so unnatural on his face now suited with perfection the unearthed persecutor. Menace filled her laugh. Her red irises were clear, alighted by this pleasure in torturing. Bynethrin came close and began to circle Tamar. Elior stood dumb-struck; his lips tightened but formed no response.

“I found the truth in her Clarity confidants. And see – she does not deny.” Tamar couldn’t begin to find the words. Gasps escaped most onlookers and rumbles of whispers erupted as Elior strode from the room, shaking with anger. He didn’t give Tamar a second glance.

“Yet nor is she of Ebony…” Bynethrin continued once Elior was gone, “She stands as an Innocent. The foretold. Our key. Her sacrifice gains us dominion over all lands.” And for that moment Tamar could have sworn every heart in the room stopped beating.

Within seconds she was being pushed and passed between creatures. Hands, claws and paws grabbed at her, lifting her off the floor. It was hopeless to fight. She simply flailed between grasps, sniffs and caresses making her skin crawl with disgust. Bynethrin crossed her arms in satisfaction as the crowds enclosed. Her accusation was all they had needed.

“Get her in chains!” some shouted, “Sacrifice her now!” others encouraged.

Familiar grubby hands came about her hips, “But why not play with our food first?” the Polixfen lisped, “Much more satisfying.” Tamar yelped and attempted to break free. Roars of laughter went up around the room, echoing back on themselves. It felt like the world itself was closing in on her.

“Elior!” She screamed, abandoned. More laughs followed.

Elevated by the waterfall where Tamar had admired only a day ago, Bynethrin revelled. Ryu had appeared at hair-smelling proximity behind her, drinking in the mayhem that so pleased his Love. Tamar could read the words she spoke over the chaos.

“Bring her to me.” She instructed. Ryu shivered at her words and set out to do her bidding. Tamar pushed backwards, gaining any distance she could. Ryu stepped easily through the crowds, his puppet status gaining him standing among the creatures for his tie with Bynethrin. As Tamar shoved and slipped he stepped more confidently with each stride. She’d never been so close to him before and from here his obsession could almost be deemed pitiable had his seediness not disgusted her further. Everything about him was filthy and overlooked. The insanity shone in his sleepless eyes. How he would torture her for Bynethrin’s pleasure did she wish it so.

Tamar began to shake with fear. Creatures dispersed around her as Ryu closed the gap between them. She’d reached the edge of the floor and could only walk parallel to the precipice which would eventually guide her full circle to the waterfall should she carry on retreating.

“Well, well, well.” He arched an eyebrow. “Aren’t we the centre of attention?  Enjoying your fame?”

Tamar tried to stare him down; the fear of what would happen should she blink was too great. She could feel her hands shaking with terror. This wasn’t a game anymore and it certainly wasn’t a dream. She edged backwards towards the crowds heavy panting. Ryu glanced back at Bynethrin then turned on Tamar. He licked his lips and said, “Come on now, time for your finale.”

And then everything appeared to take place in slow motion. As he lunged forward to grab her a desperate cry came from the crowds to Tamar’s side. She turned just in time to see Chases’ terror stricken face burst though the front line. He wrapped his arm around her middle, swiping her out of Ryu’s grasp, and consequently hurling them both over the side of the dance floor and into the leafy canopy. She screamed as she felt herself fall backwards but was silenced as huge black wings tore from Chase’s back and ripped through his cloak. The girl and the creature fell entwined as they plundered through branches battering them as they descended. They clung to each other for dear life. Chase’s wings were no use as they fell through such dense foliage. Only in the final gap of the first branches to the floor did they spread to catch the last air before collision. Deadened leaves flew around them like confetti on impact.

Tamar found herself among a mass of feathers and leaves that had softened her landing. She whimpered and scrambled to sit up, checking herself for any broken bones. Tears filled her eyes and her heart pounded in her ears as adrenaline coursed through her veins. Her breathing was rapid.

Chase groaned and she saw him lying there like a dead crow on its back. She was still kneeling on his wing. She hurried to get off as they both wrestled to their feet using each other as supports. As soon as they were steady Chase shoved her back, shooing her away. Tamar hesitated as she looked at his grazed face and ruffled wings.

“Why? Why did you do that? You could have died!” She demanded.

He shuffled forward and pushed her again, encouraging her to run.

“Chase I can’t leave you like this! They’ll kill you!” she pleaded. He shook his head frantically. As he continued shoving he shouted a riddle.

“How I see but I have two, When the lost can’t be - and searching’s through. Three letters you’ll say as often as and, The Brave and Wise but slips like sand!”

“I don’t understand, I don’t understand!” she shouted back.

“The Brave and Wise but slips like sand!” he insisted.

Suddenly the riot from above floated down for them to hear. They looked up through the canopy then their gaze followed to the massive tree trunk as rumbling rang down and out of the doorway. Screeches descended over head as other winged creatures had taken flight. Tamar met Chase’s eyes with horror and he met hers with humility. She didn’t need another push. As she took off she heard struggling beats of wings behind her but she daren’t turn around.

Fear flooded the pit of her stomach and she ran, bolting for freedom. Her legs moved without her knowledge, all her concentration was focused on forcing the dread that had erupted inside her to stay down. If she stopped she knew she would be overcome and blinded by tears.