Chapter Nineteen

“Now, when alone, do my thoughts no longer hover

Over the mountains, on that northern shore,

Resting their wings where heath and fern-leaves cover

Thy noble heart for ever, ever more?

Remembrance – Bronte

The third arrow hit. Chase cried out in anguish. It penetrated the edge of his kidneys and burst through his front. The arrow head caught Tamar’s stomach but only scratched the skin. There was nothing she could do for him. His wings stopped beating for just a moment and they plummeted down before he could pull his strength together. Jeers and shouts came from below. Chase huffed as he drew in jagged breaths and caught Tamar up in his arms again. With the last of his efforts he flung Tamar at the cliffs ledges. She flew through the air and crashed into the rough foliage on the cliff face. Rolling down onto a slightly larger ledge she managed to get a hold of the ragged rocks. Arrows continued to fly at Chase as he turned to draw them away but the flying spears met their target; another in his side and one in his chest. His course faltered and he plunged downward, spiralling toward the enemy. Far below a loud but soft thud crunched into the sand. She cringed at the noise and fought back tears.

Shuffling around she peered over the latching weeds to see the Fallens gathering at the shore around the remains of the giant crow. Chases’ body was mostly concealed by the black wings ruffled over him. After inspection was satisfied, heads began to turn in her direction. His sacrifice had not served as a suitable distraction, they knew somebody hid here. Tamar ducked and curled into a ball in panic. What could she do? How could she run when her family were down there imprisoned for her? Elior was gone, and poor, poor Chase.

A stuttering intake of breath gasped for air a few shrubs away. Tamar jumped and flattened out to hide. But this was the last thing she felt the need to do when she saw another friend in pain there.

Eyes half closed he was slumped over with weariness, and looking down at his hand pushing at his side, blood seeped through his fingers. Tamar stayed low and crawled over the dirty rocks.

“Abednego?” She whispered, “Can you hear me? You need to stay awake, tell me what happened.” She panicked and began ripping what was left of his battered cloak to staunch the blood flow. Pressing it into his side Abednego sobbed in agony. Tamar winced as she made him hold it there, hurting him to save him. Shouts could be heard behind them as gruff calls summoned others in their direction.

“They’re coming...” he whispered through breaths, he must have seen everything. “This... is it... Tamar.” He fought every weakness in his body and raised his head to meet her tear filled eyes.

“But I can’t do anything! If I’m meant to be someone great then where is my greatness?” Tamar whimpered at Abednego. She couldn’t be who they needed her to be. This was wrong.

“Your choice.” He smiled and winced.

Tamar’s mind flickered as it spat out the past few days before her eyes. Everything was to come down to now. There was no way back.

She evened herself and looked back at Abednego.

“Our lives will turn on moments like these.” She recited. He nodded all he could. “Hold on. It’s almost over.” She reassured, standing to turn on her heel and face the oncoming captors.

Fists clenched she side stepped her way down the ledges, leading the hunters away from where Abednego fought for his life. As expected they mirrored their pray and shifted direction with her.

“It’s me you want.” Tamar shouted through her dry throat. “I surrender.”

Heavy creatures dragged themselves up the cliff face, coveting her blood as they looked at her through dirtied eyelashes. The more agile of hunters bounded towards her in fluid leaps, licking their lips in anticipation. The grimy Polixfen from the Ball hissed through blackened teeth.