Chapter 20

Elise carried the globe that looked upon the human realm in to her quarters. She sat on her feather down bed spread and looked in to it. She was keeping an eye on Jariel, making sure that he was suffering. Oh, how she wanted him to suffer. Now he knew how it felt to no longer be the favorite, to be the scum that he hated. She looked in to the globe, but instead of feeling the satisfaction that she thought she would, she felt disappointment. Instead of seeing Jariel in pain and suffering, like she hoped to see him in, she saw a smile on his face.

            She threw the globe across the room in anger and watched as it rolled away and disappeared underneath her big, brown, wardrobe. He was in a realm filled with the humans he hated, why in the world was he smiling? Why was he so happy? She got up and retrieved the globe, to see the reason behind Jariel’s happiness. Her eyes looked upon a young looking girl with long, auburn, hair. The girl was smiling as well and it looked like they were eating in a nice-looking apartment. Anger flowed through Elise again and she sat the globe to the side, too annoyed at the image on it to continue looking.

            Jariel was supposed to be in pain. He was supposed to be miserable. Something about that girl was interfering with her plan. She was the one making Jariel happy.  Elise bit her lip in annoyance. How dare this human mess with her plans! Elise wanted Jariel to suffer, to know how she felt before she became the center of attention and this; this piece of scum was ruining her enjoyment in seeing him suffer!

            She called upon her servant and told her that she would be going out, and she didn’t know when she was going to return.  It was time to take things in to her own hands.

*      *       *     *

Jariel smiled and laughed as he skipped ahead on the playing board. They were playing the game Life at the dinner table, and Jariel was winning. Dawn was in second place, and Annette was losing, but she didn’t seem to care. Annette, however, kept kicking her ‘husband’ out of the car and telling him that he could go live with his mother for all she cared. Jariel had drawn the conclusion that Annette was hilarious, end of story. Dawn seemed to not really care if she won or lost, she just didn’t want any kids and would put the kids in Annette’s car whenever she wasn’t looking. Out of the three of them, Jariel thought that he was the only one taking the game seriously. In the end Jariel had won, Annette had become a widow with a dozen children and Dawn had become the crazy lady that lives by herself with hundreds of cats.

            After the game they ordered in pizza and popped in a movie. They had decided to watch The Princess Bride which Jariel thought was cheesy, but Annette and Dawn seemed to enjoy it. In the end, Jariel had to admit that it was a pretty good movie after all. Even Michelangelo seemed to have enjoyed it. After the movie was over and their stomachs were full, Dawn and Annette retired to their rooms. Jariel stayed up and watched the news a little while longer before going to bed himself.

            Dawn woke him up in the morning, telling him to get ready for his first day on the job. He groaned as she reminded him of the torment that he still had to endure today. He slowly got up and dragged his feet to the bathroom, where he took a shower and then got dressed. He finished getting ready and then went in to the living room to turn on the television and see how the weather was going to be today. The weatherman, who got on Jariel’s nerves because half the time he wasn’t even right, said that today called for rain. However, it was perfectly sunny out right now and so Jariel guessed that he was wrong yet again. Dawn didn’t work until later, and so he left for work without her.

*    *     *     *

            Elise gracefully stepped on to human soil and quickly hid her wings. She straightened out her green blouse and walked down the streets of New York City, her long blond hair up in a neat bun. She already knew where this human lived, her globe told her that much, and now it was up to her to fix the problem. People made their way around her and she blended in perfectly. The smell of New York and the close proximity between her and the humans disgusted her, but she knew she had to suffer through it if she was going to get her satisfaction back. She made her way down to the humans apartment, planning each move she was going to make a long the way.

*      *       *         *     *

            Dawn yawned as she looked over the morning paper and drank her coffee. Jariel had, reluctantly, gone to work already, and Annette was still sleeping, so she was alone for the moment. Things between all three of them were going smoothly right now, which made her wonder a little bit when something bad was going to happen. After all, that’s how it was in stories, wasn’t it? Whenever the good guys had a long period of peace, something always happened in the end. Dawn supposed that’s how life was too though. She tried not to dwell on it too much as she turned a page of the newspaper and continued on reading.

            After a while she supposed that she should get dressed and ready for work, which started in an hour or so, but she also had to do her laundry and take the trash out. She went and took a nice hot shower and then put on her work clothes, black slacks and an aqua blue blouse. She then dried her hair and went to dump her clothes in the washer. She still had some time before she had to take the trash out and leave for work, so she went in to the living room and turned on the news. There wasn’t anything interesting on and so she turned it off and went to go empty the trash.

            She couldn’t help but get the feeling that someone, or something, was watching her. She kept looking over her shoulder, but she didn’t see anything and so she kept walking. She figured that she had been watching the news too much lately and was just feeling paranoid. It wouldn’t be the first time that happened.

            She reached the dumpster and threw the trash bag in to it, unaware that there was a shadow looming over her. She didn’t know that she was in danger. She couldn’t see the stranger looming over her until it was too late.

She screamed.

*         *          *        *

Elise saw the human stepping out of the apartment complex and a wicked smile spread over her face. She’s making this too easy. She thought as she snuck up behind the human. She reached where she was and just waited until she turned around. She wanted to see the fear in her eyes.

The human turned around and Elise grabbed her by the arm, causing the human to scream. She brought the human close to her face.

            “If I were you, I wouldn’t scream.” She threatened. The human grew silent, the fear filling her brown eyes.  “That’s a good girl.” She began to drag the human away after she left a note for Jariel that she hung on the door to the apartment. To a normal person, it looked like they were just two friends walking the streets. Elise walked the opposite way of the crowds of people, telling the human that if she tried to escape, tried to scream, she would kill her. The human, most likely scared for her life, obeyed. Elise led the human to the outskirts of the city and to the first abandoned building that she could find. She found a pole and some rope that must have been there since the building had been abandoned and tied the human to it.

            “What is it that you want?” the human yelled, trying to struggle out of the ropes but failing and giving up. “Who are you?”

            “I want Jariel to suffer. He deserves to. I want him to more than anything.” She said, ignoring the second question, thinking that she wouldn’t be alive long enough to even care.

            “You’re Elise, aren’t you?” The human asked, somehow knowing who she was. That stupid angel! Elise thought. She couldn’t believe that Jariel would tell a human, of all beings, about something like that. He was a traitor to their kind. Then again, he always had been.

            “So, Jariel told you about me, didn’t he?” she let out a wicked laugh. “That just makes him even more of a traitor. As for you,” she looked upon the human with disgust all over her face. “You’re just a problem that needs to be fixed. You’re making Jariel happy and, well, I can’t have that. I can’t stand to see Jariel happy!” she yelled, loosing the little bit of self control that she had left.

            “If Jariel wants to be happy, then that’s his choice. You can’t take that away from him.” The mortal said, as if it was obvious.

            “You wanna bet?” she said, getting up in the humans face again. “Because, I think I just did. He’ll come home, see my little note and freak out. I did take away his happiness honey, I took away you.” She stood up again and straightened herself up, trying to gain back her self control. That human would truly  see. They all would see just how powerful she really was.