Chapter 8

Jariel had no idea what was coming over him. He was trying to calm down a human being for crying out loud! He was becoming too soft. He knew it. He blamed it on this realm, the people in it, the atmosphere, everything. He loathed it. No, he despised it. There, that described it more profoundly, he decided. He was in the bathroom right now, trying to buy some time. The bathroom was the smallest room in the apartment, naturally. It was painted sea foam blue; a color Jariel thought was disgusting. It looked a bit cliché, in his opinion. A yellow rubber ducky sat on the edge of the small bathtub, a pale pink toilet seat cover on the toilet, and the shower curtain had yellow rubber ducks on it as well. However, unlike any cliché bathroom Jariel could think of, Dawn’s paintings hung on the wall. Her paintings seemed to cover the entire house, he realized. He wondered to himself just how long she had been painting. It must have been a long time, since there were so many in the apartment.

            He figured that he had been in there long enough, any longer and he may have driven himself insane. He decided to take a tour of the rest of the apartment, seeing how he was going to be living there and all. He turned left after he left the bathroom and walked down the hallway, that was covered in her paintings so much that he couldn’t even see  the color of the paint. Two doors were at the end of the hallway, one door read Annette and had posters of different bands, such as Escape the Fate and Black Veil Brides, taped on them. Dawn’s room must have been the other one because her door was covered in sketches. He looked around to make sure Dawn wasn’t around before opening her door and sneaking a peak at what her room looked like. Dawn’s room was painted a pear green, and was also covered in her paintings, naturally. She had a queen sized bed with a purple comforter laid on it ever so carefully. Her room was neat, with nothing on the floor or cluttering her dressers. He quietly closed her door, made sure Dawn wasn’t around again, and then opened Annette’s door. Annette’s room was painted a royal blue, and had band posters hung up everywhere. Unlike Dawn’s room, Annette’s room was downright messy. Clothes were spewed all over the floor, her closet doors were open, and her bed was unmade.  Jariel stifled a laugh and quietly closed her door, heading back out to the living room, where he passed a door that read “Dawn’s Studio” but he left that alone, seeing how she may not want him to see what she was painting right this moment.

            He walked through the living room and to the kitchen, where he found Dawn feeding Michelangelo his dinner. He smiled as he watch him scarf down his food like there was no tomorrow. He was a cute cat, Jariel had to admit. He was a nice orange and white colored, with really fluffy fur. He noticed Dawn looking at him, with a smile on her face, from the corner of his eye. He looked over at her and returned the smile, which caused her to blush, which in return caused Jariel to laugh. No, stop it! You’re growing too soft Jariel! He mentally scolded himself. He couldn’t help it though, there was just something about her that made him feel, well, happy. He was grateful that he no longer had to live out in the cold, which reminded him about Isaac. He wondered what had happened to him, but just assumed that he was just up to his usual tricks. He was sure that he would see that old man again, sooner or later. He hoped the latter, he didn’t really wish to be around his stench.

            He watched as Dawn picked up Michelangelo’s dish and washed it, putting it in the dishwasher afterwards. She was wearing her batman pajamas and her slippers which, for some odd reason beyond Jariel’s comprehension, made him laugh. She looked over at him as if asking, what’s so funny? He just shook his head and smiled.

            “So, what are you up to today?” Dawn asked, washing some dishes leftover from last night.

            “I haven’t the slightest idea.” He admitted.

            “How about we look through the job section of the newspaper and try to find you a job.” She laughed. “Any past job experience?