Chapter 9

“I don’t know what to do anymore!” Jariel grumbled to himself while he was standing outside waiting for Dawn. They were going job hunting again, something Jariel wasn’t looking forward to.  He didn’t even think he was going to be here long enough for it to even matter. He was planning on getting his bloody revenge for crying out loud! He didn’t need a stinking job. First of all, it didn’t meet his standards. Second of all, he would rather train Unicorn Zombies than get a job. And lastly, he didn’t want one to begin with! Dawn was being so unreasonable. He didn’t see why he had to get a job in order to continue living with her. After all, wasn’t she trying to do a good deed rather than do a good deed and charge for it as well? Sure, he had suggested her helping a homeless person get employed, but he didn’t mean this way and he didn’t mean himself.  He started pacing in front of the apartment complex, growing impatient. He really didn’t know what to do anymore. He didn’t know how he was going to get back to Heaven, he didn’t know how he was going to survive in this hell hole, he didn’t even know if he wanted to survive anymore. It’d be so much simpler if he could get this pain over with by ending his life once and for all, if it was even possible that is. Sometimes being immortal had its downside. He sighed. Ending his life though wouldn’t solve anything. It wouldn’t solve his problems. It wouldn’t stop what was happening from happening. All it would bring was heartache and pain for the people around him. Well, for Dawn, at least. As well as Isaac, if he ever saw him again.

            “What is taking her so long?” he asked himself out loud, causing some random strangers to look at him oddly. He didn’t blame them though, he would look at someone weird as well if he saw them talking to their selves.  After what seemed like a lifetime, Dawn finally came out of the apartment, apologized for taking so long, which, in Jariel’s annoyance he overlooked, and they went on their way. They looked at any store that had a HELP WANTED sign in their windows, but Jariel purposely said that he could never work there. He thought that if he said no enough times, Dawn would finally give up. He would soon see that she was more stubborn than he took her to be.

            That day brought them nothing. No matter where they looked, Jariel shot it down. Dawn had tried to reason with him, but Jariel just wouldn’t budge. He refused to get a job. He just wouldn’t do it. He didn’t see a point in it. He admitted that he was being a little bit unfair at the moment, but he really didn’t care. It was starting to get to him. Being here, being away from his real home, being away from his real friends. It was unfair. It was beyond unfair, it was barbaric. He hadn’t even done anything wrong! All  he did was borrow some scroll from the Library, a scroll he had never heard of until now, that Elise said she needed to complete a task for God. He should have known that she was up to her old tricks again. He had been so blinded by, by; hell he might as well say it. He was too blinded by love to even see what she was up to. It was true, he had loved Elise. Her blonde hair, blue eyes, the way she smiled, everything. He thought that she was the one. That was, until he found out what she really was. A liar, a cheater, a coward, manipulative, the list could go on and on for decades. Everyone thought she was so great until the saw the real her, and by then it was too late. He wondered where the other fallen angels landed when they were thrown out of heaven. Did they land in New York City, like himself, or did they end up somewhere else? He wondered if there were any more like him wandering the streets in New York City, and smiled. If only he could find them and then maybe, together, they could team up and take down Elise once and for all. The thought seemed silly to him though, seeing how he would probably never be able to find them because they were hiding their wings as well.

            He just thought it was completely and utterly unfair that he had to suffer through living on this hell hole, while Elise, the real villain, got to live a luxurious life up in Heaven. He let out an aggravated sigh. He was throwing himself another pity party, he realized, even after the fact that he knew that wasn’t going to get him anywhere. He was acting like a child. Whining about how life wasn’t fair, and how he wished that he was anywhere but here.  He shook his head. He needed to stop throwing himself a pity party and start focusing on the real issue: getting revenge on Elise. It was going to be a hard, most likely painful, experience, but one he had to endure anyway. He couldn’t, no scratch that, he refused to let her get away with it. She would be exposed for who she really was.