Chapter 19

“I am sick and tired of these stinking books!” Jariel groaned, slamming shut the fifth book he had browsed through. They really hadn’t gotten anywhere. Not a single shred of knowledge of where the others could be. All it talked about were how and why some of the angels were thrown out, which Jariel already knew about. He despised the fiction books that told complete and utter lies about his kind.  Where did they get that crap? He shook his head and muttered under his breath as he grabbed another book off the top of the stack, opened it, and began to browse through that one too.  Dawn didn’t seem to be having much luck either, by the sighs coming from her side of the table, as well as the annoyed mutters. What was even the point of coming here if there wasn’t going to be any vital information? There just had to be a way to find the other angels, or find a way back in to Heaven. Maybe there just wasn’t a way to get back in to heaven. Maybe he was just stuck here. No, he refused to believe that. He refused to give up. He was going to find a way back in to Heaven and get the revenge that he so desperately longed for.

            “Jariel, I honestly don’t think we’re going to find anything in these books.” Dawn said, snapping Jariel out of his deep thoughts. He looked at her and let out a sigh. He knew that she was probably right, but he didn’t want to take the chance of there actually being something in one of these books.

            “Just keep looking. We may find something in the other books. We can discard the fiction books though, because those are just dead wrong.”  Jariel said, closing the book he was reading and opening another one, which had a brown and green cover with an angel on it.

            “Okay.” She said, a bit skeptical. Nonetheless she closed the book that she had just finished and opened another one with a blue cover.  They flipped through book after book until there were no books left to browse through and they were left with what they had in the beginning, absolutely nothing. They left the library with disappointment all over their face.

            “I can’t believe we couldn’t find anything.” Dawn muttered. “I was so sure that there was something there that could help us.”

            “Well, the books were written by humans, and not fallen angels, so I guess that’s why.” Jariel suggested. “Because they really don’t know the complete truth. Their thoughts are just theories.”

            “I guess that’s true.” She shrugged. “How about we go get some ice cream. I think we deserve something after enduring that torture for nothing back there.” She laughed.

            “Sure.” Jariel said, not really in the mood for ice cream, but not wanting to make Dawn feel bad. He was just a bit upset that he was back at the beginning. He wanted this to be over and done with, but he guessed that wasn’t going to happen anytime soon. They made their way to the ice cream parlor, which Dawn told him was called Jenny’s Sweets. It looked like an oversized candy cane, for it was a building that was painted red and white, like a candy cane. Jariel smiled as they stepped in to the store and smelled candy canes. Dawn explained to him that the owner of the store had a thing for candy canes, as if he couldn’t come to that conclusion himself.

            Dawn ordered two sundae’s, which she paid for herself, and then told Jariel that he owed her, followed by she was only kidding. They laughed. Jariel remembered that he had to start work on Monday, the thought itself just made him groan, which made Dawn laugh. They sat down at a booth in the corner of the parlor and ate their ice cream mostly in silence. Jariel looked around, and found mostly families, teenagers on a date, and a lot of kids running around the store. He didn’t really know if he liked the ice cream, for he never ate it before. They didn’t really have ice cream in Heaven.