28- Date Night

1 week later
Stefan's POV

I wake up to Layla's soft cries, which tells me that she wants to get up. I unwrap my arms from my sleeping wife and make my way into her nursery.
"Hiya sleepy head," I coo as I lift her out of the cot. I lightly kiss her head, happy to be holding her in my arms again. I carry her back into our bedroom and see that Elena's already sitting up and rubbing her eyes. Her tired expression disappears and is replaced with pure happiness when she sees Layla, and she reaches her arms out for her. I place her in Elena's arms and watch them both intently.
"Hi Layla," Elena coos to her. After a little cuddle between the two, Elena places Layla on the bed. We both lay on either side of the bed with Layla in the middle of us, watching as she contently chews on the bed sheets. "She's definitely teething at the moment," I state. Elena laughs before looking at Layla.
"I can definitely see that." She moves from the bed sheet and puts the corner of Elena's pyjama top in her mouth. I smile at the cute sight. Elena sits up before lifting Layla and holding her in her arms. "And I also think, she's hungry." I nod in agreement before we both get out of bed, not wanting to have a hungry Layla on our hands. By the time we've gotten down the stairs and into the kitchen, Layla's started to chew Elena's hair.
"What is your obsession with my hair?" She laughs, gently easing Layla's grip around her hair. I laugh at the two of them before going to prepare some breakfast for Layla.
After making Layla's breakfast, Elena sits down and feeds her whilst I start on our own breakfast. Layla's so funny when she eats, she's so eager to eat and always takes the spoon or bottle off you before you even begin to give it to her. Or sometimes when she's in a really cheeky mood, she clamps down on the spoon so that you can't take it out of her mouth.
Whilst I'm cooking, I hear my phone ring on the counter to my left. Without properly looking at the caller ID, I accept the call and put the phone to my ear whilst stepping out the kitchen.
"Hello?" I answer.
"Hey, Stefan. Quick question, what you up to tonight?" I furrow my eyebrows in confusion at my mother's question.
"Nothing, I don't think. Why?" I question.
"Well great! You're going on a date!" I furrow my eyebrows in confusion.
"Mum, what are you talking about?" I say and hear a sigh on the other end.
"You and Elena are going on a date tonight." She says with an obvious tone.
"We haven't planned anything for tonight," I reply, confused.
"That's right, we've planned it. Both of you be ready for 7 tonight and we'll take care of the rest." That's all I hear before she hangs up the phone, leaving me puzzled but kind of happy. I return to the kitchen and place my phone back on the counter.
"Well that was weird," I say before returning to the cooking.
"What was, babe?" She asks as she turns slightly towards me.
"That was my mum, apparently we're going on a date tonight," I reply with a smile.
"Are we? Have we planned something and forgotten about it?" She continues to spoon feed Layla as she turns her gaze towards me again. 
I smile at the mess Layla's making. "They've planned something. I have no idea what but we have to be ready for 7."
"Sounds interesting. You know, this'll be the first time we've been out since we had Layla," she replies as she feeds Layla another spoonful of porridge. I think about it for a moment and realise that she's right.
The expression on my face must resemble shock since she laughs. "Has it really been that long?"
She nods. "Are you on call tonight?" She asks, and I shake my head no, making her react with a smile.

Elena's POV

Stefan goes to put Layla down for her nap, considering she fell asleep in his arms.
I sit myself down on our bed before sending Caroline and Bonnie a quick message on our chat.
Short notice date tonight- help needed on what to wear 😊x
Although Stefan's seen me in practically everything I have in my wardrobe, I'd still like to look nice, especially as it's our first date in quite a while. Plus they've been pretty busy this week with work so it'd be nice to see them again.
My phone buzzes in my hand and I check my messages to see their reply.
We're on the case! What time's the date? x
I begin to write my reply before I see Stefan enter the room quietly; I smile at his presence.