20- Coming home

The next day

Elena's POV

I'm so happy to finally be taking Layla home, and although I haven't had a long hospital stay, it feels like forever.
I'm packing up the rest of my things whilst Stefan dresses Layla in her onesie, since it's quite a warm day today. So many emotions are going through my head right now, the midwife said that it's completely normal, but I still can't help but to feel a little insane. I feel excited at the same time as anxious, and happy at the same time as scared, it's all so confusing. I'm a little scared about feeding Layla outside the hospital, with no professionals to help me but Stefan assured me that he's going to be here the entire time. Stefan's always brought me so much comfort in general as well as with these sorts of things, and not just because he's worked with a lot of babies and mothers at the hospital.
"Have we got everything?" I ask, my mind coming out of the series of thoughts.
"I think so, I've got Layla's things, you've packed yours. There's nappies, bibs and extra clothes in the car." Stefan has literally taken care of everything for me, and I am eternally grateful because it's taken so much stress off my shoulders.
Stefan's driving us all home whilst I sit in the back with Layla. She's so beautiful when she sleeps, I can't get enough of her. I feel a very protective nature towards her already and all we both want to do is be with her all the time.
Once we make it home, I take Layla out of her car seat, wait for Stefan to get the bags, and walk inside with him by my side.
"Welcome home Layla," I hear him whisper and it instantly makes me smile. He opens the door for us both, I take a step inside and I'm comforted by the quiet, tranquil atmosphere.
With the sleeping bundle in my arms I make my way to the sofa and sit down. Stefan swiftly follows me, placing my tea on the table, and we both gaze at our newest edition.
The silence is soon interrupted by my phone ringing on the arm of the sofa. I pick it up promptly so that it doesn't wake Layla up.
"Hello?" I answer in a hushed tone.
"Hey Elena, I was just calling to check up on you." Layla wriggles slightly in my arms, we both smile.
"We're all okay, do you want to come over? I'm sure Layla's dying to meet her auntie," I tell Caroline.
"Aw really? Sure! I'll be round in a little while." I smile at her enthusiasm before we both hang up.
"I guess we've got company." We both laugh softly before diverting our attention back to Layla.
"Here, daddy hold you for a while," I say as I pass our sleeping daughter over to Stefan. His face lights up when she's in his arms, there's definitely no denying his love for her. I quietly sip my tea as I watch Stefan cradle our daughter in his arms.
"You're such a great dad," I whisper with my head resting on his arm.
"And you're an amazing mum," he replies with a kiss on my forehead.
I smile as I continue to gaze at the both of them, I love these two so much.
It's not long before we hear a small knock on the door and see Caroline's smiley face appear.
"There she is! My gorgeous little niece," she whispers as she walks over to the both of us. She crouches down to our level as she glances down at Layla, tears glazing over her eyes.
"Oh she's so beautiful," she says as she wipes a few tears away.
"Do you want to hold her, Care?" Stefan offers as she eagerly nods her head in reply. He gently places her over into Caroline's arms and I can't help but smile at my best friend and daughter.
"Oh she's so beautiful! I mean, I knew she would be considering her parents are the two of you but wow." I laugh at her comment and smile, Layla definitely is the most beautiful baby I've ever seen.
"Thank you Caroline," I say with a small laugh.
"Aw wow, she's just precious. What's her middle name?" She lifts her head up from gazing at Layla.
"Skye," I reply. Caroline gasps, and I think the both of us are smiling at this point.
"Aw I love that name! Little Layla. Layla Skye Salvatore. I bet you're relieved to have her now?" She questions, looking directly at me.
"Definitely, I couldn't imagine what we would've done if something had gone wrong." I prevent myself from thinking anymore about the possible scenarios, since all of them are just too horrid to think about. I feel Stefan comfortingly kiss my hair, and I instantly relax.
"Well she's safe and sound now," she says, looking at the two of us.