4-Good and Bad News

AN: For this note, I'd thought I'd spice it up a little. I have a challenge for you all. During the chapter subtle hints are given about the ending (ish) part of the chapter. Stefan will reference the good news part of the chapter so you've got to guess. Read all of Stefan's POV and when it switches to Elena's, say what you think will happen. Then at the end, see if you're right. 😜😋

A month later
Stefan's POV
It's coming towards the end of the day, which I'm happy about because it's been an extremely long day in the hospital. They've sent me practically all over the hospital today and now it's safe to say I'm pretty tired.
"Salvatore!" I hear and turn around to be met by Brian's face.
"Yes?" I ask as we continue walking down the corridor side by side.
"Terry needs to see you in his office," he says.
"What now? Did he say why?" I ask, looking at my watch.
"Yeah now but I don't know why, sorry," he says before tapping my arm and diverting down another smaller corridor. I sigh and make my way to his office. I knock on the door before hearing my cue to enter.
"Stefan, it's good to see you again." He smiles and gestures me to sit down on the chair in front of him.
"It's good to see you again," I say before taking my seat.
"Okay, you've been here for about 5 weeks now and we've seen some outstanding progress within you. We don't normally do this but we would like to offer you a promotion," he says. I'm shocked by what I'm hearing but also a little confused, I can't possibly be promoted because there aren't any higher up positions.
"We're offering a placement to relocate a few of our doctors to Australia. We've looked through your files and it seems that you've gained the highest percentage within your degrees." My heart sinks, I can't possibly move to Australia, I have a family and a girlfriend who I love with all of my heart, I can't leave them.
"Before you react or anything, you'll only be there for four months so it won't be permanent." I'm totally speechless. I'm so conflicted that I don't even know what to say. This is a great opportunity and the fact that they've offered me this is amazing but, if I take this job it means I have to part from Elena for four months. I'm not sure if I want to do that.
"Would I be able to have some time to think about it?" I ask, hoping there still is time.
"Of course. But I have to warn you, this idea has been thought of very quickly so we're sending you all off tomorrow afternoon." I felt as if something is restricting my throat from providing any voice.
"Okay, I'll give you an answer by the end of the day." He smiles and nods.
"That would be appreciated. Curtesy of that, we're letting you off a few hours earlier today so that you have the time you need." I smile, grateful for that extra time. It now means I'll be home around the same time as Elena.
So many thoughts are rushing through my head, I had something I needed to ask Elena and now I also have to tell her I might be leaving for four months. I was already nervous in the first place and now I'm even more nervous. I guess there'll be a conflict of emotions tonight.
"Thank you," I smile before we shake hands. I stand up to leave before he says one last thing.
"Listen, I know leaving your girlfriend is hard but we picked you because of your matured and high level abilities. Take some time and think about it." I nod my head as a 'thank you' and exit the room. So many thoughts are going through my head, I can barely concentrate. God knows how I'm going to get through the next two hours, trying to work out some sort of plan as well as work will be difficult.

Two hours later

These last few hours have been tough, I've been panicking about Elena's reaction. There's a part of me that's trying not to worry since I know that Elena's the most kind and caring person I know so I know she'll be supportive. Although in all honesty, I could be worrying about the other thing that I have to tell Elena, but all I can clarify is that I'm extremely nervous. As I park in the drive way I notice that Elena's car is already here, which just makes my heart race abnormally fast. I exit the car then enter the house and there I'm met with a beautiful, smiling Elena sitting on the sofa reading a book. Typical Elena, I smile at the sight.
"Hey, you're home early." She smiles as I walk up to her and place a light kiss on her head. I really don't want to tell her why I'm home early, but I guess I have to at some point.
"That's actually what I need to talk to you about," I say before sitting next to her. She looks confused and a little nervous at the same time.
"About what?" She questions, placing the bookmark between the thin pages and setting the book down.
"Today, I got some news. News that I'm not sure I should be happy about or not." I'm not helping the situation here in anyway with my rambling. She takes my hand in hers and traces her fingers over my own. I feel a little more comforted by her touch.
"They want me to relocate to Australia for four months. It will mean leaving you for that time, which is what's making me not want to go. Apparently they've seen outstanding progress and that I got the highest percentage..." I say less confidently as I go along, I've never been one to brag about any abilities I possess.
"Um, uh, I don't know what to say to that," her voice is filled with surprise. I see a few tears fall from her eyes, which instantly makes me regret even considering it.
"I think that if this is something you want to do then you should go for it," she says with a smile.
"Elena-," I start.
"No honestly, this is an amazing opportunity for you and who am I to stop you from doing this? Of course I'll miss you, I'll miss you so much, but you've worked so hard and it's your turn to be rewarded." She smiles which automatically makes me smile.
"Are you sure?" I ask as I place the palm of my hand on her cheek, my finger gently rubbing her skin.
"It's not up to me to decide, but I believe in chasing your dreams. And this definitely seems to be a dream of yours," she says. Tears are still present on her face but I know why, and I feel the exact same way.
"I love you so much, you're amazing." She blushes, almost as if she doesn't believe herself how amazing she is.
"And I love you," she says before she connects our lips together. My lips feel at home against hers, there's no other way to describe it. We part and for a few more seconds she looks a little pensive.
"When are you leaving for Australia?" She asks and I anticipate her reaction.
"Tomorrow afternoon," I say. It sounds so close when said out loud, I still don't know if I'm ready.
"Okay," she takes in a deeper breath. "Should we tell your parents? Ask them if they want to come over to say goodbye?" She offers before I remember what I have planned for tonight. However, thinking of that also brings back all of my nerves.
"I'd like to spend my last night with you," I say taking her hand in mine this time. "Plus I already had something planned before this all came up," I say. She raises her eyebrows in a questioning manner.
"Oh yeah? And what might that be?" She laughs.
"It's a surprise," I reply with a smirk.
"I'm intrigued. Do I need to be dressed up for this?" She giggles, I smile at her cuteness. I nod my head before I gently kiss her forehead.
"We'll be leaving in approximately 45 minutes," I say. She giggles before gently kissing my lips.
"Well in that case, I better start getting ready," she says as she gets up and goes upstairs. I follow her up so that I can get myself ready for the most amazing night ever.