Hold Me Now-Twenty Four

Chapter Twenty-Four

    Zayn would gladly admit that he had never known what fear is until he heard the fatal shots, feeling Niall's body jump and slump against his own. His heart was pounding wildly, the silent tears spilling down his face. All was quiet for the longest time, and it was driving Zayn mad.

    "N-Niall?" Zayn whimpered, his body trembling. From not too far away, a cackling picked up, making Zayn freeze. I wasn't Niall laughing, that was for sure. The voice was too deep to be the Irish boy's, laced with cruelty and a sick sound.

    "Gone, gone, gone," the voice laughed, moving closer to Zayn. The raven haired boy hated how he couldn't see behind him, it left him at a disadvantage. "And gone. There was five, and now there's one." That had to be the person who shot Niall, there was no doubt about it. But what was he talking about?

    "W-Who are you?" Zayn called out, hating how pathetic his voice sounded. "W-What have you d-done?" The laugh picked up again, making Zayn shutter. His heart was pounding in his ears, his body shaking so much, he was afraid he'd never stop.

    "Look at how pale he is," the person said, obviously talking about Niall. Rage bubbled up inside of Zayn, and he threw himself to the side, taking Niall with him. Niall made soft moans, which gave Zayn the courage to continue, to make whoever shot the poor boy pay.

    "M-Mr. Howl?" Zayn asked, his jaw dropping. The teacher had a gun in his hand, the barrel aimed at Zayn's head. Zayn feared for his life and Niall's, somehow knowing deep down that they weren't going to get out alive. "W-What's going on?"

    "What's going on?" Bobby asked as he threw the living room open. Mr. Howl's arms snapped up to the other man, his eyes wild. Before Zayn could do anything, Mr. Howl had shot Niall's father, in the shoulder. Zayn watched as the older man cried out and crumpled to the ground. "You son of a-"

    "Shut up!" Mr. Howl hollered, his gun darting back and forth between Bobby and Zayn. "Shut up or I'll kill you all! I'm not bluffing! I shot my own son, two more is nothing!" Zayn noticed then that there was indeed three bodies laying in a heap on the ground next to the door leading into the kitchen.

    There was Danny on top, a dark red hole in the back of his neck, blood dripping down his throat. He was face down in top of another boy. Zayn held back a gasp and a scream as he realized it was Liam, a bullet lodged in his back, alined with his spin. The two boys were laying down on top of a girl, who was shot in the head, her hair a crimson red instead of the normal blonde.

    Zayn immediately recognized her as Perrie, his old girlfriend. They had dated for a year straight before Zayn had caught her cheating on him with some kid named Josh or something. She had tried desperately to explain that it was a misunderstanding, that she didn't cheat on him, but Zayn knew they were lies. Face it, finding your girlfriend naked in bed with someone else, naked, was hard core evidence.

    Zayn had called them off and had gone home with tears streaming down his face and a broken heart. Zayn wasn't the same since then, and he did things he regretted now. He had blocked everyone out, a small voice telling him that everyone was against him, and he couldn't win until they were all gone.

    He had been stupid enough to listen to that voice, and that's when things got chaotic. After almost six months after he had broken up with Perrie, he couldn't take it anymore. His enemies-better known as his family-were getting closer to breaking his walls. They had to go.

    So he did the only thing he thought was reasonable at the time, he set the house on fire...with his family in it. Yaser had been at work, so he was spared. Zayn had watched as his house was engulfed in flames, a smile on his face. But then he heard it, the screams and cries of his family.