Hold Me Now-Three

Chapter Three

Chapter Three

The night around him was chilly, and Zayn wished that he had a heavier jacket. He paced around some more, thoughts crashing around in his mind. He couldn't believe that Harry, his best friend, had been abused right under his nose! He could remember, now, seeing bruises on Harry's arms and face. "Just got in a fight last night" had been Harry's excuse.

"How could I have been so stupid?" Zayn asked himself, stopping to punch the brick wall beside him. His fingers popped, and started bleeding. Harry had so much worse pain than this. If only Zayn could take some of the pain for Harry. Zayn hit the wall again, biting his lip in pain. His hand shook, and he shoved it into his pocket.

"Ow!" Zayn spun around, looking for the source of the voice, and spotted the nerd, Niall, being dragged by an older man by his ear. "Please!" Niall cried, trying to pull away. "I don't want to go!" The man threw Niall to the ground, and Zayn creeped up on the two, hiding behind a trash can.

"I don't care what you want!" The man shouted, making Niall flinch. "You are coming whether you like it or not!" The man gave Niall a sharp kick to the stomach, and Zayn couldn't help but think about how many times that had happened to Harry. Then the man leaned down, and whispered something that made Niall wince.

Zayn turned around and ran as fast as he could. He normally knew the alley maze like the back of his hand, but with all the thoughts crashing around in his mind, he couldn't concentrate, and was lost easily. He stopped next to a big green trash bin, and took out a cigarette, lit it, then took a long drag. He could think better now.

"Hey, kid," a gruff looking man asked, walking in front of Zayn, "what are you doing here? Pretty boys like you don't belong here." The man crossed his arms over his broad chest. Zayn ignored him, taking another drag. "Hey, pretty boy, I'm talking to you." The man grabbed the cigarette from Zayn's lips, threw it on the ground, and stepped on it.

"Hey!" Zayn snarled, shoving the man. "I wasn't done with that!" The man laughed, shoving Zayn a little. Zayn clenched his teeth together, trying not to lash out. The man shoved him again, and he hit the wall. He had to be the bigger man, now, and walk away. And so he did. Well, he tried, but the man shoved him back, onto the floor.

"Whoa, where are you going, pretty boy?" The man asked. Zayn's heart thumped wildly in his chest. He tried to look big, tough, and scary, but he really wasn't. He was terrified right now, and desperately wanted someone to come and save him. But who would save him? Harry was out of the question, and Liam was watching over Harry.

The man raised his fist to strike down on Zayn, and Zayn covered his head. "Stop!" Zayn peeked through the cracks of his fingers to see Louis, his hand grasping the man's arm, keeping him from hitting Zayn. "Dad, don't hit him. Let's just go, my sisters are probably worried."

"They're fine, Louis," the man said, shaking his arm free. "I want to teach the pretty boy here a lesson, though." Louis shook his head, biting his lip. He grasped his father's arm, pulling him toward the alley's opening. He pulled Louis back, making Louis fall flat on his face. "Fine, we'll go."

As the two walked off, Louis looked back at Zayn, and Zayn mouthed two words, thank you.

~~

The room was dark, strobe lights occasionally flickering over Niall's slim body. He looked around, watching a couple snogging on a red couch in a dark corner; men betting on who can drink more; and people dancing on tables. The music was loud, pounding in his eardrums. Glass breaking at a table, along with shouting startled Niall.