Chapter 1- The Meeting

CHAPTER ONE- The Meeting

"Hello?"

I heard the voice of an angel practicially whisper breaking me out of my tedious work load of grading papers. I looked up and saw the most beautiful woman I had ever seen looking back at me. Unfortunately she also looked at least 10 years younger than me.

"Are you Professor Lasky? English 205 instructor? She said looking down at a paper she held in her hand.

"Yes I am." I replied. "How can I help you?"

"My name is Jace Cooper, I'm your new work study assistant for the semester."

She had a very friendly smile. I stood up to greet her reaching out my hand.

"Nice to meet you Jace." Her hand felt silky smooth. "When do you start?"

"Anytime you need me. I am free right now until 2:00, and then on the rest of the week I am free everyday after 3:00. Here's my schedule."

"Ok then well there's your desk, every test day I will leave a stack of tests with the answer sheet here and if you could just go ahead and grade them and then put them back on my desk I would appreciate it."

"Sure." She put her backpack down and sat down at her desk.

"Oh and I am sure it goes without saying, but I have to have the answer sheet back too."

"Of course."

"Great well if you dont mind I have some files that I need filed in that cabinet over there."

"Absolutely." She smiled and took the folders from me. I ' help but notice the fan was blowing her wavy chestnut brown hair back away from her face. She had amazing sapphire blue eyes, which I didn't usually notice on brunettes before. She had on just a touch of make-up, lip gloss and her cheeks were rosey pink like she had just come in from the cold. 'Stop staring Noah' I had to remind myself. She began filing the folders.

"How long have you been teaching here Professor Lasky?" she asked. I found it odd that she didn't act intimidated by me, all of the other work study assistants I had before, we always just worked in silence. They always acted like they were afraid to speak to me, but not Jace. She seemed to just jump right in. I found her conversation very welcoming.

"Almost five years. I taught high school English right out of college for a little while, but decided that I liked the freedom and higher education to be more exciting. Are you a freshman?" Most of my work study assistants were, and she did look pretty young.

"No a junior actually" She sort of giggled at my question. "I graduated high school early and changed my major once. After this semester I will have my bachelors degree in early education, but plan to go on to get my Masters."

Wow. Brains and beauty you don't see this everyday.

" What do you want to teach?" I was officially intrigued now.

"English actually. Like you I would love to teach at a college level someday."

"Why a bachelors in early education if you plan on teaching college students?" It was an obvious question I thought.

"Well I love children and want to get a job right out of college, and work on my Masters degree in the meantime. I do love school, but I don't want to spend all of my time in college. Graduating early and all I want to get out and start a career while I am still young."

"How old are you?" I realized after I asked the question that I probably shouldn't have, maybe she would think it was none of my business.

"I just turned 21 a couple of weeks ago. But yes I know I look younger. People tell me that all of the time." She looked like she was blushing.

"Your parents must be very proud of you." I commented. I had to admit I was impressed and maybe a little intimidated by her. She looked down at her feet and shifted in her chair. Her face turned somber and maybe even slightly sad. I immediately noticed something I said had bothered her.

"Ummmm, yeah I guess so." She didn't look up. "Ok filing is done, what else do you want me to do?"

"Well I actually don't have anything else for you at the moment so if you want to do some homework or study that's fine with me."

"Ok" She pulled out a copy of Lord of the Flies (My favorite book) and started reading.

"Are you reading that for a class?"

"No actually, its kind of embarrassing, but this is my all time favorite book, I have read it at least a dozen times. I know its kind of juvenile, especially to a professor like you, but every time I read it I always find something interesting I never noticed before." She looked embarrassed. Little did she know that I, myself, had read that book at least a million times and actually had a copy of it on my bed stand at home. I smiled.

"No it's my favorite book too, its just not a book you see people reading for fun that's all."

"Well even though I am majoring in early education, my thought process exceeds Green Eggs and Ham." She smiled coyly.

She made me smile, Her teeth were perfectly white. It was weird, but since my ugly divorce almost six years ago I hardly dated and never ever thought I would look at a woman again. But there was something about Jace. Maybe it was the way she bit her lower lip while she was reading, or the way her fingers gently turned the pages. Maybe it was the way she spoke to me with such ease and confidence or the mysterious vibe she gave off, which had me desperately wanting to talk to her more. I couldn't pin point it, but there was something VERY different about this girl.

******** Thanks for reading, after I build up their relationship a little more this story is going to get VERY juicy and a definite PG 13 rating.*************

Please leave a comment and let me know what you think!!! Thank so much!!!