Chapter Nine

Friday morning, Fallon and the rest of Miss Holt’s fourth period English class made a pilgrimage to the school library. With the Labor Day weekend coming up, Miss Holt wanted to make sure she ruined their vacation by having them choose the book for their ridiculously huge book report due at the end of the month. Since she wasn’t going to be doing the book report, it wasn’t going to ruin Fallon’s weekend. In fact, she wasn’t even going to crack open the book she’d have to check out from the library to keep Miss Holt from getting on her case.

            “This sucks,” Ava declared as their class poured into the library.

            “What book are you going to get?” Tarilyn asked.

            “I don’t know yet, but it’s going to be something short,” Ava said and heaved a sigh. “What about you two? What are you getting?”

            “No clue yet,” Fallon said while Griffin just shrugged.

            Miss Holt approached their group. “You aren’t going to find a book standing here talking.”

            Ava waited until the teacher’s back was turned before she rolled her eyes. “I guess I’ll go see what I can find.”

            “Just so you know, they probably don’t have any Dr. Seuss books,” Griffin joked.

            “Screw you,” Ava retorted.

            When Ava sauntered toward the stacks, Tarilyn followed. Fallon wasn’t surprised. Wherever Ava went, Tarilyn followed, probably because Ava was the only real friend she had at Lincoln High.

            “So, what book are you going to get?” Griffin asked.

            Fallon laughed. “Please, you know I don’t care. I’ll just grab something off the shelves before we leave.”

            “What do you have against reading?”

            “I don’t have anything against reading. It’s homework I have a grudge against.”

            “Good thing you have black magic or you’d probably be failing.”

            “Okay, Mr. Book Lover, what book are you going to get?”

            “I don’t know yet, but since you aren’t going to get one maybe you can help me pick one.”

            She headed down the never ending rows of books. While she scanned the shelves, Griffin leaned against them and waited to see what she’d come up with. There were tons of books to choose from, but Fallon wanted to find the biggest, most boring book the school library had to offer. If it had lots of tiny print and big words that was even better.

            Fallon extracted a heavy book from the shelf and shoved it at him. “What about this one?”

            “Read it last year.”

            “You’re kidding me. You read this book last year?”

            “You know I like to read.”

            “Then I guess I’ll have to come up with something better.” 

            “I can come up with something better.”

            “You said I could pick the book. It’s too late to change your mind now.”

            “That’s not what I meant.”