Chapter Eight

“Hey, Angel!”

Though there was something familiar about the voice coming from behind her, Fallon didn’t turn around.

“How many more days of school do we have?” Fallon asked, and the twins laughed.

“Too many to count,” they answered together.

“Explain to me again why we never ditch class.”

            Before either of them could answer someone behind her grabbed Fallon’s hand. When she whirled around to see who it was she recognized the guy from the pizza place. Despite the presence of Lucian and Griffin, the guy offered her a sly grin. His friends wore identical expressions.

            “Did you forget about me already, Angel?”

             “Excuse me, but who the fuck do you think you are?” Lucian snapped.

            The guy’s smile didn’t waver as he kept his eyes on Fallon. “Is this the guy you left at home the other night when we went out?”

            “We’ve never gone out. I don’t even know your name.”

            The sky darkened as a stifling heat began to swirl in the air around them.

             Lucian took a step toward him. “You’ve got about two seconds to get the hell out of here before my brother and I beat the crap out of you.”

            “I’ll leave if she wants me to leave.”

            It was Lucian’s turn to grin. Fallon knew that grin. It meant he was about to start something this poor kid might not be able to finish.

            “Now, Dale, I know you’re trying to impress my girl because you’ve got a crush on her.”

            Dale knitted his eyebrows together. “How do you know my name?”

            “I know a lot more about you than you think which is why you’d be doing yourself a favor if you kept walking and forget you ever saw her.”

            “Is that supposed to scare me?”

            “That’s up to you.”

            “Well, it doesn’t.”

            “That’s your choice, but we both know you could never get a girl like this.”

            “Even if he did, he wouldn’t know what to do with her,” Griffin spoke up.

            Lucian smirked. “I wasn’t going to lay his shit bare unless I had to.”

            “What are you talking about?” Dale demanded.

            “Dude, who cares what he’s talking about?” one of his friend’s said. “She’s already got a boyfriend.”

            “I’d listen to your friend, Dale,” Lucian suggested.

            When Dale glanced over at her, Fallon could see him debating what to do next. He didn’t want to look like a coward in front of her or his friends, but he had a real fear of Lucian. Like most people who were confronted by Lucian, he didn’t know what he was or what there was to fear, but his instinct told him Lucian wasn’t someone to be challenged. Without saying another word, Dale tore his eyes from Fallon and turned his back on them. As he and his friends skulked away like a pack of beaten dogs, Ava and Tarilyn approached.