Chapter 10: Dumbledore's Secret Library

The Awakening Power

by Sib

Chapter 10: Dumbledore's Secret Library

* * *

"Er, are they there?" asked Ginny, squinting at the front of a carriage.

Harry, Ginny, Neville and Luna stood near the carriages, waiting for Ron and Hermione to finish their prefect duties. Harry looked at the Thestrals hitched to the front of the carriages and shivered a bit.

"Yeah, they're there," he said. He didn't think he'd ever get used to their creepy appearance.

"Thanks for carrying Pig," Ron said, coming up behind him. Hermione was with him and relieved Ginny of Crookshanks, thanking her as well.

"We better find a carriage before they all fill up," said Hermione, walking down the line. "Here's one."

They all climbed in for the trip up to the castle. As the carriage rattled and shook along the path, Harry wondered again about the Potions Professor. It would be so odd not having Snape for Potions. Somehow whenever he thought of a magical potion, Snape's scowling face would appear along with it. As far as he was concerned, they might as well paste his face on every bottle.

But not this year. Maybe it would be a chance to make a fresh start in Potions class. On the other hand, if having a different professor for Potions was odd, it would be downright bizarre having Snape as Defense teacher. Snape had taken over the position briefly in Harry's third year, and that was more than enough for Harry's taste. He resolved once again not to take any abuse from Snape this year.

He watched the moon and stars peeking through the cloudy sky as the carriages took them the rest of the way. Finally they pulled up to the stone steps leading up to the huge oak doors of Hogwarts. They all exited the carriage and walked into the Entrance Hall, brightly lit with torches along the walls. The group turned right into the Great Hall where hundreds of students were noisily finding seats and chatting with each other.

Luna gave a vague goodbye as she left for the Ravenclaw table. As the Gryffindors reached their table, Ginny gave a squeal and ran over to greet some of her fellow fifth year students. Harry watched closely as she greeted her friends and noted that several of the boys at the table seemed to look her up and down. A feeling of annoyance filled him as he turned away and walked with Neville, Ron and Hermione to sit with the other sixth year students.

Distracted, Harry sat down at the table, and then realized he had sat directly across from Parvati, who was sitting next to Lavender.

"Harry, Hello! I'm so glad you sat with me!" she said delightedly.

"Hi, Harry," said Lavender, giving him an odd smirk.

Harry smiled weakly at them as he groaned to himself. "Hello, Parvati, Lavender."

Harry glanced over at Ron, whose jaw was hanging down. "Whoa. That can't be the new Potions Professor, can it? That's sure not Snape."

Harry looked at the front table and saw an extremely pretty young woman sitting with the other professors. He looked around and noticed many of the boys in the room were looking avidly at the woman.

Hermione was looking very annoyed with Ron's reaction, but Harry had to agree with him. The new Potions Professor was about as different from Snape as possible. She was rather tall, with long, blonde hair pulled back behind her head. Her face was very pretty with creamy white skin.

Just then, a line of first years came filing into the chamber, looking nervous and frightened, led by Professor McGonagall. She was carrying a stool which held the ancient Sorting Hat, covered in patches and worn from centuries of use. She placed the stool in front of the first years, where the hat seemed to wait for the noise to die down.