Chapter 21: Valentines

The Awakening Power

by Sib

Chapter 21: Valentines

* * *

Ron rolled over onto his back, lying awake late at night in his bed. Unable to sleep, he sighed and ran his hands through his hair. Soft snores sounded around him as he stared up into the darkness, barely making out the curtains of his bed.

I've got to do something, he thought desperately. I'm cracking up.

Having Hermione stay with him while he was in the infirmary had pushed him to the breaking point. Waiting for some sort of sign wasn't an option anymore. He had hoped Joseph was a temporary thing, but it was lingering far longer than anticipated.

A knot of fear ran through his stomach as he contemplated admitting his feelings to her. He rolled back onto his side, clutching his pillow, and reviewed what he knew for the hundredth time that year.

I've shown her I can be serious about studying, he thought. She appeared to compliment some of his work; maybe she respected him a bit more now? Certainly I must have proven that the Runt isn't the only one who wants to study with her, he thought grimly.

Still, he couldn't help but wonder whether she fancied him at all. It was a huge risk admitting his feelings. What if all she wanted was to be a friend? He could totally mess everything up.

Frustrated, he threw off the covers and got out of bed. Sleep didn't seem to be possible, so he walked over to the window and sat on the sill. He looked out at the moon, peeking through the late winter clouds and giving them an eerie glow.

Should I talk to her? he thought. I need to do it. Somehow, I need to find a way to do it. But even as the thought entered his mind, his doubts seemed to cause him to sit on the fence in indecision.

Putting on his robe, he opened the door to the dormitory and went down to the common room to sit by the fire for a while. Horrible scenarios of Hermione's reaction filled his head: looking at him like he had gone mad, or laughing at him, assuming he must be joking.

As he came off the stairs, he noticed someone was already sitting in a chair, staring in the fire deep in thought.

"Ginny! What are you doing up?" Ron asked.

Ginny appeared startled as she turned. "Ron! Hi. Couldn't sleep; guess I felt like sitting for a few minutes."

Ron nodded as he took a chair across from her next to the fire. "Yeah. Me too. How are OWL studies going?"

"Oh, murderous, of course," she said with a smile. "But I'm getting along okay."

"Good," Ron said, propping his chin with his hand as he looked at the fire.

"Are you okay?" Ginny asked. "Um, anything you want to... talk about?"

Ron looked at his sister appraisingly. Ginny knows Hermione pretty well... maybe I can get something out of her without her realizing it.

"Ginny... can I ask you a question?" Ron asked tentatively.

"Sure," she replied.

"I mean, hypothetically speaking..." Ron started.

"All right," she said, blinking at him.

"Let's say a bloke I know... er, fancies a certain girl..." Ron said, his face growing a bit warm despite himself. He was glad that the room was rather dark.