Chapter 6: Pensieve Dreams and Stranger Things

The Awakening Power

by Sib

Chapter 6: Pensieve Dreams and Stranger Things

* * *

Harry sat across from Ron over the chessboard, his attention wandering. His pieces were looking at him accusingly, causing Harry to look about the room rather than meet their disappointed stares at his moves so far. Hermione was reading some sort of enormous, heavy textbook, which caused him to idly wonder if Hermione's ultimate goal was to read a book as large as she was.

Harry was losing badly, but he wasn't really concentrating much about the game. He was thinking it was time to tell Ron and Hermione about the prophecy. He had been trying all day to work up the nerve, but he always seemed to find an excuse to avoid it instead.

"Checkmate," Ron said, as his pawns began applauding the performance. He didn't look too pleased by the win. "Harry, I don't think your mind was too much on the game. It was easy, even by my normally devastating standards."

Harry sighed. He'd better get it over with. "There's something that we need to discuss. Something that Dumbledore told me at the end of last year. Something bad."

Hermione looked up at that, alarmed. "What is it, Harry?"

"Not here. I think the Pensieve can help with this. You can see it for yourself," said Harry.

"All right, Harry. Shall we go down to the lake?" said Hermione.

"Yes, I think that would work. Also - I think I would like Ginny to hear this as well." Harry looked away, somewhat embarrassed.

"Ginny? Are you certain?" said Ron.

"Yes," Harry said. "This, er, concerns Voldemort. And how he has to be defeated. Ginny fought her own battle with Riddle. And after the Ministry last year, I think she has a right to know this. Where is she?"

"In her room, I think," said Ron.

"I'll get the Pensieve and let her know," said Harry.

Harry walked up stairs and picked up the satchel containing his Pensieve from his room. He then walked to Ginny's room, which was open. "Ginny?"

Ginny was lying on her bed, reading a textbook. Harry peered a bit closer and noticed it was a defense book. "I didn't know you've been reading defense books. That looks fairly advanced, actually."

"I have to get ready for your D.A. meetings, don't I?" she said, smiling. "What's up?"

Harry had been smiling, but now his face grew serious as he remembered why he was there. "Well, something happened at the end of last year. Dumbledore told me - something. I haven't told anyone. I was going to tell Ron and Hermione, and - I want you to know as well."

"You want me to come along?" she said carefully.

"Yes." Harry looked around, as if someone might be listening. "It's about defeating Voldemort. You fought your own battle with him, and I - think you deserve to know this. Ginny, it's not good news, er, for me."

Ginny looked concerned. "Harry, whatever it is, I'm certain you'll meet it, like you always have."

Harry smiled weakly at her. "Shall we go? I'm going to show you all using the Pensieve, and we're going to go down to the lake."

Ginny got up, and they headed downstairs where they met Ron and Hermione, who both had grim looks on their faces. They all walked out the door and hiked down to the lake in silence, the hot mid-afternoon sunshine streaming through the trees. They found a spot next to the water and sat down. Harry pulled out his Pensieve and broke the tense silence.