Chapter 30: Sirius's Diary

The Awakening Power

by Sib

Chapter 30: Sirius's Diary

* * *

Harry couldn't believe he hadn't remembered it before. The more he thought about it, the more convinced he became that he knew where to find Sirius's diary.

Ginny turned to him. "Where do you think it is?" she asked curiously.

He paused, just relishing the thought, turning it over in his head. "When Remus had me sign the inheritance documents for Sirius's estate, he told me that a vault had been set up with my share of the assets. In fact, I received an owl earlier this year with some documents and a key. I bet that that a lot of Sirius's private items were stored in his vault during his stay at Azkaban. I mean, where else would they go? It must have been put in either my or Remus's vault."

Ginny appeared thoughtful as she considered the matter. "That makes sense. I think I've heard dad say that oftentimes when people are sent to Azkaban for a long stay, their belongings are picked up and put into the owner's vault, if they have one."

Harry sat up. "When can we go? You'll come with me, won't you?" he said excitedly.

"Of course, Harry," she said, smiling. "I suppose we'll have to talk to Professor McGonagall and see if we can get permission to leave the school."

"We'll have to talk to Remus, too... it might be in his vault," Harry said. "He didn't say whether he'd looked at all of Sirius's possessions in his own vault. Tomorrow's Sunday... how about tomorrow? Oh wait... banks aren't open on Sunday."

Ginny looked surprised. "Gringotts is open all the time. Aren't Muggle banks?"

"No... Gringotts is always open?" Harry asked.

"You know goblins... always obsessed with money," Ginny said with a grin. "Anyway, I don't see why we can't go tomorrow."

"I know it's there. It has to be there," Harry said fervently.

"I think it might be there, too, Harry, but don't set yourself up for a big disappointment if it's not," Ginny said gently.

Harry looked at her and nodded. "You're right. Best not to get myself worked up about it. But..."

"I know. We'll just have to see how it goes," she said, squeezing his hand. Suddenly she laughed. "Quite the big day, today, isn't it? Big love confessions, big diary revelations, big lunches..."

Harry laughed in response. "Come to think of it, I haven't eaten anything yet. I'm starving. I suppose big confessions build up my appetite." He eyed the wide variety of food, trying to decide what he wanted.

"And don't think you're going to get away with saying – it – once and then never again, Mr. Potter," Ginny said teasingly.

"Saying what?" Harry said innocently, taking a bite of a chicken leg.

Ginny's eyes narrowed and then she punched his arm. "Harry..." she said threateningly.

"I'm just kidding!" he said quickly.

"Hmph," she said, turning away and crossing her arms.

Harry leaned over and whispered in her ear. "I'm sorry..." he said, chuckling.

"I need a more sincere apology than that," she said, trying to be cold, but her face was fighting a smile.

Harry grinned as he was reminded of when he'd teased her about the romance book last summer. That seemed so long ago... "Okay, how about this..." he said into her ear.