Chapter 28: Dumbledore's Challenge

The Awakening Power

by Sib

Chapter 28: Dumbledore's Challenge

* * *

Harry glanced over at Ginny, exchanging a small smile with her. They had taken to eating meals together, which Harry enjoyed very much. As he sat at the Gryffindor table eating his breakfast, he reflected that life was actually going pretty well, for once.

After receiving an owl from her mother, Ginny had assured him that Mrs. Weasley was ecstatic about their new relationship, which made Harry feel a bit more secure about the whole thing. Of course, Fred and George had felt the need to send them both a book, "What to know on your wedding night," causing him and Ginny great embarrassment. It also didn't help that they had sent it in care of Ron, who gleefully read excerpts to them.

Things had been particularly peaceful the last week and a half or so; Malfoy was suspended from school for ten days for the Quidditch incident. There were rumors that he'd been close to expulsion, but Narcissa Malfoy and her lawyers appealed to the Governors of Hogwarts, and they had negotiated the ten-day suspension.

Of course, he had been back for two days now and was as annoying as ever. He was greeted like a returning hero by the other Slytherins. Things were noticeably quieter while he was away; even the rest of the Slytherins seemed more pleasant with him gone, including Crabbe and Goyle, who only appeared to wander the hallways looking lost and confused.

As Harry sat chatting with his friends, he vaguely noticed a strange mumbling descending over the Great Hall. Turning around, he saw Dumbledore walking from his table. It was rare for Dumbledore to come toward the student tables, so everyone was watching curiously, wondering what was going on. Harry was rather curious as well, until he noticed Dumbledore gazing at him, at which point he felt a sudden chill.

"Why is Dumbledore looking at you?" Ron whispered. "Are you in trouble?"

Harry shrugged helplessly. He had no idea what was going on. He went down a list of reasons in his head of why Dumbledore might come to talk to him rather than just send him a note to see him in his office, but nothing was coming to mind. He looked over at Ginny, who was glancing between Dumbledore and himself, her eyes wide. Hermione just seemed stunned that a teacher would do something out of the ordinary. Even the other Professors appeared surprised at Dumbledore.

Finally he arrived, sauntering up calmly. Harry was relieved to notice that he had a small smile on his face, which reassured him that it probably wasn't bad news. Everyone in the Great Hall had their eyes locked on Dumbledore.

"Good morning, Mr. Potter. You are well, I trust?" Dumbledore said, as if he had just stopped by to say hello.

"Erm, fine, thank you. And you?" Harry said, feeling as though those words were an utterly stupid thing to say.

"Splendid, splendid. Trying the sausage this morning, I see. I, myself, found my omelet to be excellent," Dumbledore said affably, not appearing to notice that the entire hall was listening to him discuss breakfast.

"Yeah, excellent," Harry said, wanting to shake Dumbledore and find out what he was doing.

"I believe tonight is a meeting of your club, is it not?" Dumbledore said, eyebrows raised.

"Er, yes, sir," Harry said, confused.

"I had a thought," Dumbledore said. A long pause ensued after this statement.

"A thought – erm, sir?" Harry said finally, wishing he would get to the point before his heart gave out. The entire hall was dead silent, Dumbledore's voice carrying over the tables.