Chapter 8: No Endless Summers

The Awakening Power

by Sib

Chapter 8: No Endless Summers

* * *

Harry walked into the Weasley kitchen, having slept a bit late that morning. It was the day before his return to Hogwarts, so he had stayed in bed some extra time, just to enjoy his last day of summer. He was in bright spirits, looking forward to a good breakfast.

As he entered, Harry noticed everyone's face seemed grim, causing his stomach to do a flip-flop.

"What's happened?" he asked nervously.

Hermione looked up, an expression of deep sadness on her face. She handed him the Daily Prophet without a word. Harry read the headline and his heart sank.

Mass Deaths Reported Across United Kingdom

By Rita Skeeter, Special Correspondent

A series of mysterious deaths were reported yesterday among prominent magical families across the country. Details are sketchy at this time, but it is believed to be the work of You-Know-Who. Sources within the Ministry have recounted that the Dark Mark was floating over the homes of the victims, but no official confirmation has been given as yet. A complete list of the deceased is being withheld, pending notification of relatives.

With the recent events at the Ministry, it was believed to be only a matter of time before You-Know-Who began another reign of terror, based on his actions in the last war. This reporter has made numerous requests to speak to official Aurors in the Ministry regarding their plans to deal with the Dark Lord, but has been consistently rebuffed. Now that these horrific deaths have occurred, many will expect swift action to deal with this crisis.

No details have been given about exactly how they were killed, although anonymous sources have indicated that many were tortured before they were killed, and that many of the victims were entire families, including children.

Harry couldn't read anymore. He stopped and rubbed his forehead. "So it's beginning."

"So it would seem, Harry," said Mr. Weasley gloomily. "There were a number of my friends in the Ministry involved in those slayings."

"I'm sorry, Mr. Weasley," said Harry.

Harry noticed Hermione, Ron and Ginny kept darting glances at him. "What? Is there something else?" he asked.

"Erm, you didn't read the end, did you, Harry?" said Hermione nervously.

"No..." he said slowly. This can only be bad, he thought.

Mrs. Weasley was busy cooking breakfast, but he could see a look of worry on her face. "The Prophet is rubbish, dear," she said derisively. "I don't know why we still get that rag. Don't mind whatever it says."

Hermione reached over and pointed to a paragraph toward the end of the article.

Finally, it must be asked what other options exist if the Ministry fails. Many citizens find themselves asking whether Harry Potter, the Boy-Who-Lived, has a responsibility to society to rid us of the Dark Lord. Given Potter's history, he must be a wizard of great power. Regular readers of the Prophet will recall our special report back in June of this year, where we described yet another escape from You-Know-Who by Potter. Now is the time for all good wizards to come to the aid of the country. Will he answer the desperate call from his friends and neighbors?

Harry put his head down and began thumping it on the table, over and over. Just when he thought things couldn't get worse, somehow they always did.