Chapter 18

Abby gasped as Zoran gently set her down on the soft purple grass. It had been a week since the dinner where she and the other women from Earth were introduced to Valdier.

Abby hadn't had much time to visit with the other women since then. She spotted them on occasion from a distance and had run into Carmen in one of the palace's long corridors while exploring. Carmen seemed nervous, as if she was trying to find a place to hide. She didn't say much to Abby other than that she was well and would talk to her later.

Abby was puzzled about Carmen's behavior until she turned a corner a few corridors down and ran face first into Creon, Zoran's youngest brother. Abby shivered as she remembered looking into Creon's cold, dark eyes. Abby had to agree with Ariel on the "scary son of a bitch" description. He quickly excused himself and hurried off in the direction where Abby had last seen Carmen heading. She hoped Carmen would be all right.

"Oh, Zoran, this is so beautiful," Abby exclaimed as she moved toward the edge of a crystal-clear pool before gazing at the small waterfall feeding into it.

"I had hoped you would like it here," Zoran said as he came up behind Abby and wrapped his arms around her.

For the past week, Zoran had been debating about how to explain to Abby the transformation her body was seeking. Each time they made love, it was becoming harder and harder to keep her dragon from taking over. Hell, it was even harder for his own dragon not to demand it. It had only been his promise of explaining everything and then showing Abby how to complete the transformation by today that kept him at peace.

"Abby, there is something I need to tell you," Zoran began. He gently turned Abby around in his arms. He had picked this place because of its seclusion. He wanted Abby to feel comfortable in her first change. His mother symbiot was waiting for his command to appear. Once the change was done, he would divide his symbiot so her dragon would have the needed protection, but he hoped he could complete their first mating as dragons first.

Pulling back, Zoran raised Abby's hands to his mouth, pressing a gentle kiss to each of her fingers. "Abby—"

Zoran stiffened suddenly as pain radiated through his body.

"Zoran?" Abby felt Zoran's hands squeeze hers tightly and watched as his eyes darkened dangerously. "What...?"

Zoran thrust Abby behind him, ignoring her gasp of alarm when she saw the thick dart protruding from his left shoulder. Zoran let out a vicious growl, pulling the dart out before twirling around. He tried to shift into his dragon form, but was unable to as a wave of dizziness flooded through his body.

Grasping Abby by the hand, Zoran began running for the cover of the thick forest surrounding the small meadow, only to stop suddenly as dark figures emerged from the shadows. Zoran turned, but his path was blocked by more dark figures.

Abby was terrified. The huge, dark figures were close to seven feet tall. Black hair hung down to their waists. Their bodies were covered in a black leather with what appeared to be weapons strapped across their chests. Abby watched in horror as three of the figures raised a weapon and fired it at Zoran. She cried out as she felt Zoran jerk as three more darts hit him in his chest, shoulder, and leg.

"No!" Abby screamed, holding on to Zoran as he slowly crumpled to the ground. "No, please, no!" Abby pulled the darts out of Zoran and threw them aside. "Zoran, oh baby, I love you." Abby ignored the approaching figures as she focused on trying to get Zoran to look at her. "Tell me what to do. Please, be all right."

A shadow covered Abby as she lay over Zoran's body trying to protect him. "So, we meet again, Valdier leader."

Abby looked up into the face of the dark figure. She shivered when she encountered cold, dead-looking eyes. "What do you want?" she whispered.