Chapter 8

A smile curved Zoran's lips as he watched Abby fix a meal to break their morning fast. He was concerned when she left the bedroom without a word. Deep down, he knew she needed time alone to come to terms with what had happened. He knew she did not understand everything that had passed between them; he could tell by the small sad smile she gave him. She thought they would only have a few days together. There was no way to tell her it would be much, much longer.

He had no regrets for what passed between them. He accepted that she belonged to him and had no regrets or qualms at the thought of taking her away from her home. She would have to adjust. He would be there for her, guiding her as she adapted to his world.

They ate in a comfortable silence. Zoran helped dry the dishes after breakfast. He watched as Abby gazed out the window, her eyes distant for a moment before she seemed to remember he was there with her.

"I have to work today. If you want, I can show you where I'll be, then you can do whatever you want. I have a project I've been working on and it is almost done. I would like to have it finished by today or tomorrow at the latest. Edna will be home the day after tomorrow to get Bo and Gloria. I promised to show it to her before I delivered it to my clients," Abby said softly, staring out the window instead of looking at Zoran.

Zoran was concerned by the distant sound in Abby's voice. Ever since she had got out of the shower, she seemed to have withdrawn into a world of her own. He walked over to her and tilted her head back until she was forced to look at him. His breath caught at the deep sadness he saw there. He leaned over and gently kissed her. He wrapped his arms around her holding her tightly against his body while he ran his hand up and down her back trying to give her comfort and reassurance.

Abby felt her body relax as Zoran held her. She wouldn't let the depression of knowing their time was short ruin what time she did have. With a determined smile, Abby tilted her head back and gave Zoran a light kiss before pulling out of his arms. She grabbed his hand and motioned for him to follow her.

Abby called out for Bo to follow as she led Zoran down the path to her workshop. She unlocked the double doors, pushing them open so the light breeze could float through it.

Zoran stood still as he took in all the different colors as they flowed through the bright interior. Delicate flowers, bowls, birds, and other creatures, including dragons were hanging, sitting, and spinning on delicate mobiles from every corner of the huge building.

In the center was a magnificent piece standing almost three feet high. The beautiful sculpture was encased in clear glass; inside were small creatures with wings fluttering around delicate, brightly colored and intricately designed flowers. As Zoran moved closer to the centerpiece, he could see what appeared to be tiny dragons floating in thin air.

He had never seen anything so beautiful. He looked at Abby as she tied a large cloth around her slim waist. He watched for the next two hours as Abby heated glass of different colors in a huge furnace and moved it around, blowing and turning it over a smaller flame until more flowers appeared.

Her slim fingers, twisting and turning as she moved, turned a molten liquid into flowers and tiny creatures. When she had a dozen little flowers, she moved to the glass-enclosed case, moving the figures inside a tiny opening and heating them until they stayed where she wanted them. He liked listening to her sing as she worked. She didn't even seem to realize she was doing it or that he was even there as she became totally absorbed in her work.

Zoran was surprised when Abby began talking after being quiet for a while.

"I've been working on this piece for over six months now. I started it right after my grandfather died," Abby began softly. "My grandmother and grandfather raised me after my mom decided raising a baby was too much effort." Abby sighed. "I guess that isn't right. My mom was young and had gotten in with the wrong crowd. My grandparents were very well-to-do in Los Angeles and thought moving here might help her. It didn't. She had me when she was still a child herself. At least she recognized that and left me with my grandparents when I was a month old. My mom died from a drug overdose when I was two."