Chapter 6

Abby had been gone for the past five hours. Zoran was frustrated at her insistence to go alone. He walked with her down to a building containing an oddly shaped transport. She assured him she would be perfectly safe and asked him to keep an eye on Gloria and Bo for her until she returned. She explained where he could find food and drink, showed him how to operate a thing called a microwave, and gave him a remote if he wanted to listen to music. She apologized for not having a thing called a TV, explaining she didn't care to watch it, but he could look at the computer if he wanted.

Zoran returned to his ship instead to contact his brother Creon. They discussed his captivity and plans for attacking the Curizan military base where he had been held. He also communicated again with Kelan and Mandra about what had happened and the trade agreements he had finalized before his captivity. They would be trading some of their crystals for women to supplement the needs of the men on his planet.

*.*.*

Abby laughed as she pulled down the driveway for the forty-minute ride to town. She was beginning to wonder if Zoran was ever going to let her leave. She went over all the things she could think of in the house to make sure he didn't starve while she was gone, but it took even longer to convince him she didn't need protection against whatever imaginary creatures he thought she might encounter.

He wanted her to take some type of weapon he had with him and was mad as hell when she laughed and said she didn't need it. Now, she was running even later and would have to stop at the post office first if she wanted to get there before it closed.

Abby rolled down the window after she got on the highway and turned up the volume on the CD player, singing as she drove. She actually enjoyed the drive to town along the winding roads. The scenery was beautiful, and the weather was perfect. She made it to town with a half hour to spare before the post office closed and pulled into a spot right up front. She had no sooner turned off the engine to her pickup truck when Clay's sheriff's truck pulled in next to her.

Abby let out a frustrated sigh. She swore he had cameras set up to monitor for her arrival in town. Otherwise, there was no way he could know she was headed in. She really didn't want to deal with his advances today. She wanted to get her mail, stock up on some food, and get home as soon as possible. It was weird, but she already missed being with Zoran.

"Hey, Abby," Clay said, getting out of his truck and walking over to where Abby was locking her own vehicle.

"Hi, Clay, how's it going?" Abby asked as she moved toward the post office.

"Good. I'm glad to see you were able to get out after that storm the other night," Clay said, holding the door open for her.

"Thanks. Yeah, it was pretty bad, but it didn't take long for the electric company to get the power back on. I was expecting it to be much worse than it was," Abby said, moving to her post office box.

"Did you have any damage? I can come up to your place and help you clean up if you need me," Clay said, watching as Abby pulled out her mail, picking out the green notices of boxes to pick up, and stuffing the rest of it in her bag without looking at it.

"No, no damage. A tree fell behind the barn, but it didn't hit anything. There were some smaller branches lying around, but it won't take long to clear those up. I need to pick up some stuff. It was nice seeing you," Abby said, hoping Clay would take the hint and leave.

"I'll help you. How about going to the diner and getting something to eat when you're done?" Clay asked following Abby to the counter.

Abby let out a soft sigh. Nope, he wasn't going to leave her be. "Sorry, can't. I need to get back home before dark. You know I don't like driving at night."