Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Knock.. knock.. knock…

“Hello, is anybody there?” He shouted at the door.

“Maybe it’s the wrong cabin Mr. Saxton.” Joshua said.

“You might be right. I’m not sure how reliable those two goofballs are.” He replied. “I’m worried about that van we saw down the street. Sara could have been in there.”

Then he heard steps coming from inside the cabin as if someone was running to the door. The door swung open and in the doorway stood a brown and white cat. He knew the instant he saw her big green eyes, it was Sara.

“Dad!” She cried and fell into his arms. “I missed you so much.”

“I missed you too princess.” He cried and squeezed her tight.

“Promise me you’ll never send me away again.”

“Only if you promise never to leave.”

“Deal.” She said and squeezed him even tighter.

********************************************************************

The roads were icy, but they weren’t slick. It was so cold that the tires were sticking to the road. It made it easier for Jen to drive, but she was still being cautious. The trees along the road were covered in snow, and it was very beautiful driving up the ALCAN Highway.

Joey slept as she drove; something he had gotten very good at so far. Jen was still amazed at everything that happened. Sara had been found, and they were on their way to see her. All she got was a short grounding, a mere slap on the wrist for the greatest trip she had ever been on. Joey’s dad had actually known about their misadventure the whole time, and even pre-stashed some help for them.

The best part of everything was spending time with Joey. He was so much more than everything she imagined. A few times now she had even thought of breaking out of her shell and telling him how she felt, but what if he didn’t feel the same way?

****************************************************************************

“You brought Joshua too!” She said and jumped off the porch to greet him with a big hug. “I’m glad you’re ok, I was worried about you.”

“I was more worried about you when I heard you had been kidnapped.” He replied.

“Kidnapped?” she asked, “Oh yeah, Adam and his friends thought we were aliens! Can you believe that?” She laughed.

“Where is Adam? I heard he had taken you up here.” Steven asked. “I need to thank him for taking care of you.”

Sara brought her father in to see Adam. She introduced him to Tony, Brittany, and Ameera before telling him about the car accident and everything that had happened.

“Is he going to be alright?” She asked.

“Well, I suppose if some of your blood made it into his body. The nanites may have transferred to him. It certainly appears that is the case.” He said. “If so he is very lucky you didn’t check his tourniquet and retighten it every day.”

“You mean I didn’t do it right?” she asked.

“Oh no, you put the tourniquet on right. You did a great job at that, but if you can’t get him to a hospital or ambulance you should have checked the tightness to make sure it doesn’t loosen up. In this case though that was a good thing otherwise the nanites may not have made it into his blood stream.” He reached down and pushed a finger under the belt that was being used as a tourniquet around Adams arm.