Chapter 16

It was over. Dr. Bucur couldn't believe what had happened. He had thought of everything. Why would anyone try to escape out here, there was nowhere to go. How did anyone find him, no one knew where he was. Thoughts kept racing through his head. He thought about going through with his contingency plan in order to save the project, but it was too late for that, it would do no good now.

What should he do though? He didn't have a contingency for this. What was he going to do with all the kids already there? It's not like he could send them back home, could he? He wondered who had stolen his research and what they were going to do with it. Then he smiled, remembering he had stolen it first.

Would they send him to jail, or kill him off, either way it wasn't going to be a happy ending for him. All he could do now was to wait and see.

 *****************************************************************************************************

Whitehorse is a small bustling town in the middle of the frozen tundra known as Yukon. Whoever took Sara and the others had to have gone through Whitehorse at some point. Steven sneaked Joshua into a hotel at night, and hadn't let him leave since they got there a week ago. He had looked all over the town went to police station, tv and radio stations, newspapers, and had not found anything. Steven was done looking for the day, and headed to the hotel with a hot pizza to share with Joshua. He pulled up to the hotel and grabbed the pizza before heading to the room.

“I got pizza!” He said as he opened the door.

“That's nice, I found out where Sara is.” Joshua replied.

“What! What do you mean? How?”

“I called up CBC News and asked about any weird reports. They laughed and said there was a guy who called last week saying they had caught alien cats and rabbits. They didn't believe him of course and didn't even bother to drive out there and investigate, but they still had the address.”

“Did you get it from them?” Steven asked.

“Of course.” He smiled.

“That’s great! Hand it to me and I'll go check it out.”

“Oh no, I'm going with you this time. I'm tired of sitting in this hotel.”

“No you aren't, someone might see you.”

“So what if they see me. I'm tired of sitting here, and I'm not going to give you the address until I am in the car and we are on our way.” Joshua said.

Steven took a deep breath. He thought about calling the station up himself, but he didn't want to peak their interest too much and risk them actually looking into it. “Fine, let’s go.”

**************************************************************************************************

It has been almost a week since Jen and Joey arrived in Edmonton. They had searched hospital and clinics by day, and had slept and ate in the minivan by night. Every moment Jen spent with Joey was overwhelmingly joyful, and she wished it would last forever. However, their money was nearly gone, and they would be starving soon if things didn’t change. Reality was sinking in and brought Jen back to earth.