Chapter 5

Sara looked out the front window watching the leaves on the trees turn amazing orange, yellow and red colors. It was barely September and the fall colors were already showing. As they pulled off the road and stopped just behind an SUV. The unusually tall man opened the driver side door and stepped out. He was dressed in a jacket and pants. Sara realized she forgot her jacket and sweaters back in the mansion. It was a warm day when she left, but now she could feel the chill outside as she placed her hand on the window.

“Ok, last stop everybody off.” Adam shouted after standing up. “Get all your things and get in the SUV next to the really tall man over there.”

“He has a name you know.” Brittany said as she climbed down the stairs, her hands full carrying her jacket and backpack.

“Of course he does. But Jebediah Morningside doesn’t sound as good.”

“Whoever that is.” Brittany replied.

“You have never watched Phantasm?” He said in disbelief. “Kids these days.”

He looked up at Sara who was hesitating to get off the bus. “You can’t tell me that the towering fellow over there isn’t from another world.”

Sara looked at the tall man. “He is unusually tall.”

“Watch yourself, don’t let them find out anything or we could all be doomed.” He cautioned her.

“Don’t worry, I’ll give them a cold or something.” She said and walked off the bus to greet the tall ‘alien’.

The tall man greeted them as they climbed out of the bus. He asked them to take a seat in the back of the SUV and wait a moment. After they were settled in Sara watched the tall man walk over and talk to Adam. The conversation seemed normal at first, but it turned into some kind of argument. Sara couldn’t hear what they were talking about. When she tried to roll the windows down or crack open the door to hear. She realized the child locks were on. “He locked us in, Brittany.” She said turning to the other girl. “Quick try your door and window.”

“Mine is locked too. But the car is still running he left the keys in the ignition.”

Sara quickly looked towards the ignition, but there wasn’t a key there. “Nope, he must have one of those remote auto car starters installed.” She went to look back at the men arguing, but jumped when she saw the tall man’s face peering in the window next to her. He wore a friendly smile, but something didn’t feel right. He opened the driver side door and climbed in.

“Are you girls ready to go?” He asked.

“Yes.” The girls replied in unison.

“Good, well let’s get going, it’s about an hour or so to the campus.”

“What about my luggage?” Brittany asked. “I still have three cases on the bus.”

“Don’t worry about your things. Everything you need will be available at your new home.”

That answered one question that had been burning in Sara’s mind since she got on the bus. Not the most important question, but now she won’t worry about not having a tooth brush.

“You don’t understand.” Brittany replied. “My clothes are really expensive, and I have my laptop in there.”

The tall man ignored her and began driving through the tree covered road. “Are you listening? I need my things.” She whined as panic grew in her voice.

The tall man stopped the car. He turned around to tell her in a stern voice. “Your things will be put away and at the time you get released you can have them. No outside items will be available to you when inside the campus.” Brittany folded her arms and pouted as the tall man faced forward and resumed the drive.