Chapter 4

Yukon Territory year 2008

Dr. Bucur looked at the sleeping boy on the bed; he had just turned 14 a week ago and was weeks or even days away from taking his last breath. The boy was very ill with an extremely rare disease with no cure and no real treatment to slow the disease or comfort the patient. He had been bed ridden for years before Dr. Bucur found him at a very expensive treatment facility. His frustrated parents looked everywhere for a cure. They had called specialists from all over the world and they all said the same thing, that there was no cure, until Dr. Bucur showed up. He told them about his experimental cure. It only took them a week to agree to the steep terms of the agreement.

It only took 7 months after that to finish the new lab. The living quarters will be another month or two but that was close enough for them to begin treating. They already had 10 other children waiting for the treatment, if they lived long enough for it. But the boy that lay before him now will be the first.

The unusually tall man watched a couple of computer monitors showing various data, charts and other things that seemed impossible for any normal person to understand. Next to him sat a plump woman with short blonde hair and a motherly expression that closely monitored the boy’s vitals on one of the screens. “He’s ready now Dr.” the tall man said looking up at the Doc for a moment then returning his eyes to the screens.

The Dr’s heart was pounding in his chest. His life’s work all boiled down to this moment. If his patient survived the treatment he could continue, but if he died. Dr. Bucur wasn’t sure if he could continue. Everything in his research and tests showed confident results that the patient would survive and live a full life, but none of that mattered if there is an unexpected or unknown variable when applying to a real human being with all the complexities that make us who we are.

Dr. Bucur turned to look at a hanging I.V. bag with a white cloudy liquid in it that was attached to the boys arm. He reached up to the I.V. tube and released the liquid to a slow steady drip that flowed into the boy’s body. He looked back down at the boy for a moment then turned to the woman. “Is his vitals normal?”

“Nothing’s changed.” She said. “I suppose it will be a day or two before there will be anything noticeable.”

“Well we know we are going to be waiting quite awhile before we know how successful it is.” He said. “But it has begun now and there is no taking it back. All we can do now is monitor his condition, wait, and hope for the best.”

“I’m sure he will come out fine John.” The woman said addressing him by his first name. “You have always been very smart and very talented.”

“Maybe, but that doesn’t mean I have always been right.”

“Well, everything I have ever seen you do has been spot on. I wouldn’t be here now if I didn’t have a lot of faith in you.”

“She’s right, you know.” The tall man said. “Everything you have ever done has had to be perfect before you ever let anyone see it, and I wouldn’t be here either if I had any doubt in your ability.”

“Thanks, but this is the first time when someone’s life is depending on not only my abilities but our abilities, and you two wouldn’t be here if I didn’t have a lot of faith in you.”

“I’m just glad we can all be together again, and working on such a monumental project. I am very proud of the work you two have done and the risks you have taken, and I am glad you let me in on this.” The woman said.

“We have known for a long time how valuable you will be during these early trials.” The tall man said. “Besides we could never leave you out on anything before. You always found a way into everything either of us has done that sparked your interest.”