Chapter 3

Joey hammered on the arcades buttons. He wasn’t even trying anymore. He just needed something to do to keep his mind off of everything that was going on. He didn’t know what to do. His sister was going to be gone soon, and he didn’t want her to go, and didn’t want her to die.  He really cared about her. As annoying as she could be sometimes she always watched out for Joey. When Joey found out his sister had cancer he was shocked. This sort of thing happens to other people not to Joey, and not to his family. Hadn’t he lost enough when his mother died?

He hardly knew his mother he was so young. Sara had really been the only girl in his life almost a mother figure to him. He teased her relentlessly at almost every opportunity he saw, but wasn’t that what brothers are supposed to do? When Sara got cancer it wasn’t as much fun anymore. She was sick and for the first time it seemed cruel to him. It didn’t stop him however, it merely slowed him down. He thought more about how she would feel if he teased her certain ways. He began to realize that he truly cared about her. She was his sister; his only sister.  

Joey realized he was just staring at the screen. He had lost the fight on the video game several minutes ago while he was thinking. He had decided he needed to talk to his sister before she left. He walked into the hall and past the library. The door was wide open, and he noticed his father crying on the couch. Joey had never seen his father cry before. Joey didn’t even think his father was capable of crying. He was always compassionate and strong, but he had never cried, at least not in front of him.

Joey walked into the library and sat down next to his father. He didn’t look up or even seem to notice that Joey was there. He just sat there looking with a wall of books in front of him weeping. Tears were dripping off his jaw onto his Harvard sweater, but he didn’t bother to wipe them away.

After a few minutes his father broke the silence in a quiet emotionless voice. “She’s going to make it.”

“What?”

“Sara, she’s going to make it.” He said as if he was certain, and that no doubt was in his mind. Joey wasn’t so sure. The doctors had said she didn’t have much longer.

“I hope you’re right.” Joey replied.

“There is no other option. She must make it; she will survive and live long after I have died.”

“If you are so certain she will make it, why are you crying?”

“Because, I fear I will never see her again.”

“What do you mean? We can visit her at the cancer center. We will see her again.”

“Joey.” His father said turning to look at him. “You don’t understand. She is not going to a cancer center.”

Joey stood up suddenly and began to raise his voice in anger. “What are you talking about? She just told me she was going to a cancer treatment center. She said it had a boarding school and that she would be there for awhile.”

His father remained calm tears still on his face. “I sent her away to people I know and trust. She is in good hands. But we will not be able to see her, at least not for a long time.”

“Why would you do that? I don’t understand. I have to stop her. She can’t go. She’s too sick, and she needs treatment. You just sent her away so you don’t have to watch her suffer.” He turned and ran out the door not bothering to wait for a reply. His father didn’t even attempt to stop him. He ran up the stairs and into their room. It was ok, she hadn’t finished packing yet. Her clothes were neatly folded on the bed. Maybe she changed her mind he thought.