Chapter Forty-Four

Varian

   Varian's eyes narrowed to dark slits, "Your pack has declared war on us?" he stepped forward, fists drawn, his expression darkening to one of menace. "You told them."

            Pale, green eyes swiveled to where he stood, "I had little choice. You broke the treaty. 'Never betray thy enemy to thy human', remember? My pack may very well ostracize me for my involvement, but nonetheless, as their Alpha, they needed to know."

            Lily stepped forward, gently placing her hand on the crook of Varian's arm, that subtle touch assuaging some of his rage. "What happens to you?" she asked.

            Lucan was startled by her regard for him and the evident concern that was reflected in her eyes. "It is my burden."

            "But not your battle." Blanch declared softly, stepping forward. "Why aid us, vampires, when you risk everything?"

            He peered at the beautiful Blanch whose blue eyes, framed in thick, feathery lashes swept him discernibly. He was enthralled by that timeless stare and the slant of her mouth and seemed incapable of peering elsewhere. She was so unlike the others of her kind that she almost portrayed delicate humanity despite being the undead. He was beginning to feel certain stirrings and was aware of the dangers of harboring such feelings for his enemy, but damn if she weren't enchanting to look at.

            "Perhaps I seek allies in my enemy." He said, "I have no desire for bloodshed on either side."

            "How can I be sure to trust you?"

            Lucan smirked, "The same could be said of you." He shifted further into the room, studying its remnants with scant interest, "You can't fight them alone. Whether you like it or not, you need my help." he said with a leveling of cool, pale eyes.

            Varian met that stare intensely, "What are you proposing?"
            "I have kin in North Carolina."

            "Are you suggesting strays?" Varian growled distastefully.

            Green eyes narrowed heatedly, "Your numbers are lousy to say the least. You have a handful of fledglings and pregnant mate. What do you suggest?"

            Lily tightened her fingers about Varian's arm, "We have to help Talon."

            Dark eyes shifted to her and softened, "I will not endanger you or the baby." He reached up and cupped her face gently, rubbing his thumb across her mouth. "Vampire or not, I will kill all that threatens mine." Turning back to Kirov he asked, "Who is this kin you speak of?"      

            Lucan heaved a breath, "I have a cousin of the same bloodline. He runs a pack in Asheville. I can seek him out."

            "I barely trust you, what makes you think I can trust an outsider?"

            Lucan's expression hardened, "You're going up against old blood." He growled irritably, "A handful of newbies won't cut it. Ronan has kept his turf clean of vampires. His blood is thick with time. He'll be a worthy ally."

            "Listen to him, Varian." Blanch advised, "We don't have a lot of time to debate this. My father is coming along with the others and whoever else he's rallied."

            He inhaled a breath, his chest expanding with it as he cast a glance about the room. The damn mutt was right. He was going to need old blood to fight old blood.