Chapter Eighteen

Lily

   Lily had a strange yet exhilarating sensation of floating. She clung to the muscled frame that moved stealthily through time and space; hazy, frozen scenes passing her like a brief motion picture.

            The swift, unexpected flight made her stomach turn in a way that pulled any remnants of color from her face.

            She hadn't realized that passing out had been an option until the arms of brawn cradled her, drawing her tight against his hefty chest, supporting her limp frame.

            "Lay still, beauty." She felt his lips at her throat, not realizing her head nestled comfortably against his shoulder.

            The nauseating feeling began to subside. She attempted to pull away the moment she was able, but his arms locked tightly around her, and she spied that irresistible grin.

            "You are damned near tempting."

            Despite the automatic heated response his words produced, she pulled away, narrowing her eyes suspiciously at him. "If you think to get another picking at my throat, think again. I'll not hesitate to pummel your sorry, good-looking ass."

           He chuckled and dropped his arms. "I've had my fill of you-" he paused, his dreamy, dark eyes taking on a desiring gleam. "For the moment."

            She should have been alarmed by that, but oddly enough, her heart jolted in a sense of anticipation-of what exactly? Being in his surprisingly warm embrace or to feel the feathery caress of his lips against her throat once more?

            "Where are we?" she demanded shrilly, realizing they no longer stood on her paved isolated street.

            She turned to look at him and noticed a sudden graveness to his face. "Home." He uttered longingly.

            Her heart pitched in fear. "Home?" her face paled, "As in your brooding, eerie-looking mansion situated on a hill designed specifically for frightening globe-trot hitchhikers?"

            Her hair tossed against her shoulders with the shaking of her head as she retreated a few paces. "I think I'll check out."

            A large hand lashed out and grabbed her wrist. She was startled by the strength in those fingers, wrapping lethally around her bone. "This is but one of many homes."

            Her brow arched with some interest, "You have more than one?"

            He nodded a bit smugly.

            Surprisingly, the house that greeted them was not something conjured of scary themes and disturbing black basements piled to the ceiling with crates filled of soil, but she imagined a teeming row of refrigerators stored with blood.

            She really didn't know what horror or phenomenon lurked behind its door. Of what she could see, the house was situated on a hill, but its presence gave the impression of Victorian beauty. It was a much older structure, clearly built in later years and stood at least three stories.

            His hand latched around her upper arm and began pulling her towards the imposing yet lovely abode.

            "Please-" she started, feeling a real fear grip her.

            As if sensing her inner fright, he tugged her around to face him, the graveness of his expression shaking her already cracking composure. "No harm will come to you here." His hand slid a gentle caress down her cheek.