Chapter Twenty-One

Varian

Varian half expected her to be out the window and well on her way down the slanted roof, what he hadn't anticipated, however, as the door swung inward, was the immediate brunt of sunlight streaming in through the window, catching him unaware.

            Even a creature prone to unnatural abilities, such as the incredible velocity of speed, he couldn't dislodge the sudden burning of flesh as the impact of dawn struck him full in the face.

            He unleashed an unpleasant growl as pain tore through him; he lurched sideways and fell into the blessed shadows of the room, going still as he focused intensely on the woman standing immobile by the window.

            Her face registered a combination of shock and alarm, her eyes peering intently on his, already impeccably healed, without a trace of a burn.

            "I-I'm sorry." She muttered, "I never meant-"

            "To barbeque me?"

            Her face flushed a deep red.

            Varian straightened against the wall, fully restored, and then realized his predicament, between him and his blue-eyed human, flowed a seemingly wide beam of sunlight.

            He felt the darkness tugging at him, slowly pulling him into a pool of blackened abyss. He felt his strength waning, his abilities weakening, during the day; he was completely and hopelessly vulnerable.

            He attempted to step around the stray, but his arm breezed the edge, searing his flesh. He hissed a breath and wrenched away.

            He leveled a hard glare on Lily.

            "A house full of vampires should really board their windows."     

            His eyes narrowed, "Where do you plan to go, Lily?"

            She crossed her arms against her chest, "As far from you as possible."

            "I've told you, I'm not the enemy."

            She arched a brow, "No? I'm just your dinner, right?"

            He inhaled a deep breath through his nose, "What all did you hear?"

            Her expression hardened, "Enough to make up my mind as to who I can trust."

            This time, he arched a black brow. "Have I given you a reason not to trust me?"

            She cast him an incredulous look, "Let me run down the laundry list- you say you're not the enemy, yet you come with a set of fangs, you've dined off my blood more than I care for, oh, you killed those men in the alley, and you claim my father is over 100 years old, have I missed anything?"

            He felt a state of lethargy working its way over his senses, "If you run, I can promise you, your father will find you."

            "Good, maybe than he can answer the questions you continuously disregard."

            "Lily-"

            "I've had more than enough of the supernatural-"

            He felt his body pulling away; slowly materializing for the strain of dawn was too unbearable, the inability to resist the darkness tapping into his senses, unconquerable.