Chapter Fifteen

Lily

       "What took you so long?" Ruby demanded as Lily strolled to where she stood along the curve.

            "This is the line to get into the movie?" Lily motioned to the streaming row of eager people leaning against the brick wall.

            Ruby nodded, "Apparently we're not the only Brad Pitt fans in Cove Neck." She then turned towards her with a glowering face, "Don't be angry, k?"

            Lily stepped back, suddenly uneasy. "When you put it like that-"

            Ruby attempted a sweet smile to deter the blow, "I'm sort of, on a date."

            "Ruby Carmichael!"

            "That's not the worst of it."

            "Please tell me that you didn't set me up?"
            She flashed a toothy grin as two men sauntered towards them. Lily cringed on the inside. Ruby was in for a strangling.

            She immediately recognized the taller of the two; he was a regular at the Grill. His sandy colored hair and gentle eyes would have made any woman, even self-assured Ruby, swoon at his feet. The other however, was a mystery.

            "Lily, you remember Grayson Reed?"

            Grayson bestowed her with a brilliant white smile and extended a hand to her. She shook it reluctantly.

            "This is my cousin." Grayson addressed the man to his left.

            Lily peeked hesitantly at her date. He was of fair height and medium build; passably handsome with striking gray eyes that gleamed curiously at her as he offered his hand. "Seth, it's nice to meet you?"

            "Lily." She said, taking his hand.

            She stepped away and cast Ruby a lengthy glare.

            "Shall we?" Ruby asked, taking Grayson's arm.

            Lily felt Seth watching her and decided to walk ahead of him.

            He can't have you.

            She jolted where she stood and Seth came barreling into her. He grabbed her shoulders and steadied her when she would have toppled forward.

            "You okay?" he asked.

            She turned to look at him, "Yes, I'm fine, thank you."

            She wasn't fine. She was certain she had heard the throaty growl but she wasn't about to expel that to him.

            "You ready to go in?"

            She nodded and together they followed Ruby and Grayson inside.

            "We'll get snacks later." She heard Ruby say as they made their way into the cinema.

            "Ruby." Lily hissed beneath her breath, knowing she deliberately tuned her out.

            They made their way into the darkened theater and found a row with four empty seats. She was grateful when Grayson took the outer chair, allowing her and Ruby to settle in the center with Seth taking up the other end.