Chapter 4 (Change Of Plans)

I was up bright and early, even earlier than Avery. After last night with Brant at the lake, I had calm down from my rage and was willing to talk to Clay myself without Brant and Clay going Rocky Balboa on each other. 

I quietly got out of bed, fetching some clothes for the day from my drawers. Hopefully Clay was up, even if it was six in the morning. I carried the jeans and red tank top into the bathroom, where I thoroughly rinsed out my tooth brush just in case those two lunatics decided to sprinkle salt on it like yesterday. 

I brushed my teeth, combed my hair, and changed out of my night gown into the outfit I had tossed together. It didn't need to look impressive, I wasn't trying to impress anyone.

When I opened the bathroom door to leave, I came face to chest with someone, a shirtless someone who had a familiar amazingly sculpted torso. "Morning Char" Brant sleepily yawned. He playfully tossed his arms around me, squishing me in a bear hug that made me squeak out giggles. "Where do you think you're going missy?"

His muscles slowly quit flexing around me in a suffocating manor, and I looked up to him, bravery lacing my quivering heart. "I'm going to talk to Clay" I explained. "Alone."

Brant sighed, but nodded in approval. "I've been thinking about that too, and I think it's best if you handle this on your own. Your first breakup, how exciting."

I'd hardly call it a breakup, we had just gone on one date, that was it. This was more like a 'I don't want to get hurt' meeting. Brant stroked my hair and sleepily smiled. "Don't be just another girl Charlotte, make him regret losing you before he had you."

That sounded like a good idea to me. I thanked him on my way out, but he grabbed my waist, pulling me back. "The best way to get him is with tears" Brant whispered in my ear. 

I made a mental note of that, then strutted off. Since I wasn't sure anyone else was up yet, I crept down the steps and hurried to the back door so I wouldn't disturb the rest of the family. My boots were on the back porch next to everyone else's. I picked them up, cautiously shaking them out and making sure no critters were inside before I shoved my feet in. 

I decided that I would walk there. It was too early to saddle up a horse and go, more like I was just too lazy to do it. Either way, I started my journey down the driveway. I'd have plenty of time to think on the way there, I definitely needed to. Now was the time I missed my mother's encouraging words. She always knew exactly what to say or do. I could practically feel her presence beside me on my journey down the dusty dirt road. 

The sun was slowly peaking in the dark blue sky, illuminating the pathway before me. I turned right onto the next dirt road, seeing the Holt family's gravel drive way from here. My stomach wrenched in a nervous feeling, mostly over seeing him face to face. He played me, took advantage of me, and didn't think twice about doing it. Why did his eyes seem so innocent but his actions pour out lies?

The closer I got, the less courage I had. My courageous levels were dropping too quickly, so I ran towards the driveway and forced myself to walk down it. I didn't get far before I saw him in the back field sitting on a bucket with his back toward me and his eyes locked on a horse farther away from him. He pulled off his hat, used the back of his hand to wipe away the perspiration on his brow, then returned his cowboy hat to its place on his head.

I climbed the white wooden fence, cautiously walking over to him. The black horse in the distance bolted off across the plain when it saw me and Clay groaned in frustration. "I'm sorry.." Clay shot to his feet, turning around to face me with bright emerald eyes. "I think I scared it away."

Clay didn't say anything, his hands just tightened around the lasso rope in his hand. He looked down at the rope, clearing his throat before telling me, "It's okay, I've only been sitting out here since three this morning."

I knew I had to say something, even with him acting extremely bashful this morning. His charms just couldn't get to me this time, I had to avoid them somehow so I could speak my peace and go on with my life. Still, we were silent. A breeze would blow through the tree tops and cause the leaves to shake, but that was the only noise that could be heard. All the horses they had were still as we stood there not looking at each other. It was almost like they knew this talk had to happen. 

"I have to tell you something, Charlie."

I looked up at him, wondering what lies he would drown me in next. Wasn't I already hurt enough? I thought that for once I could have someone instead of just having work. What had I done to deserve something like this? Was the fact that I hated Chanel the reason why I was undateable? Could Karma be punishing me?

"Charlie" he sighed. He walked closer to me, letting me see his eyes as they crumbled away the feign act they once held. "I like you a lot..." I nearly scoffed. "And because of that I did something stupid."

My eyes widened. What on earth was he doing? He reached out to me, brushing back some of my hair behind my ear in a caring way. "You're successful, beautiful, and I'm just a farm boy who knows nothing about your world. I thought if I used my best tricks you would like me, but I feel so guilty for treating you like my past girlfriends and even tricking you. I'm so sorry, Charlotte."

What was I suppose to do now? He apologized in a way that made my heart hurt. I should have let Brant come with me, he could've handled everything. "Brant told me about the apron" I whispered. "About you and other girls."

Clay's head dropped, but he didn't deny one word, he just said, "I'm sorry, Charlotte, I'm so sorry." 

I was so lost on what to do. He seemed so helpless and I wasn't sure if he was being honest or not. How was I suppose to trust him when he destroyed that before it happened, then again he confessed about it before I could even tell him that I knew. Didn't that count for something? 

"I don't know what else to say" he quietly admitted. "I don't expect you to give me another chance Charlotte, that's not why I'm apologizing. I just want you to know that I'm truly sorry for what I did and that if there's any way to make it up to you, I'll do whatever. I'll hurl myself off a cliff if that's what you want."

I crossed my arms, a sly grin tugging onto my lips as I looked him over. My eyes searched around us and I nodded toward the creek nearby in the wooded area. "Go skinny dipping in there."

His cheeks turned crimson when he looked over his shoulder at the creek. He said anything, and this was the perfect revenge. Even though he seemed embarrassed about the idea, he pulled off his shirt and tossed it at my face. My nose scrunched at the smell of sweat it had been doused in, but I held it for him nonetheless. He walked off to the creek with me in behind. I perched on a small boulder, where he piece by piece laid down his clothing. My eyes dropped closed just when his boxer briefs did. I listened as he stepped into the creek, hearing him hissing at the low temperature of the trickling water. 

I peaked an eye open, giggling to myself when I saw him there, teeth chattering while he rubbed his cold arms. The water thankfully came up to his waist, but knowing he was completely vulnerable in the water was amusing. He looked at me, his eyes sincerely apologetic. "I know it's hard to trust me right now, but I swear I'm sorry Charlotte. I'll stand here until I die of hypothermia if that's what you want. I'll climb up the tallest oak and free fall down if that's what it takes for you to forgive me."

Of course I would never let him die, and I did believe him. Something told me he wasn't kidding, that he really did like me and had just been intimidated. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt, after all I knew exactly how he felt. "You're not just a farm boy to me Clay" I told him as I searched his pants pocket. "You're the first guy who has ever shown any interest in me."

I grabbed ahold to the keys in his pocket and widely grinned. "Now get out of there and I'll take you out for breakfast."

In shock, his jaw dropped. "I don't understand Charlotte, I hurt you..."

"And I'm willing to give you another shot" I told him with a shrug. "If you screw me over again, I'll knee you in a place you'll regret you had."

His face lit up in joy. I've never seen someone so excited about being threatened in my whole entire life. I was serious about it, although I'm sure Brant would beat me to the punchline, if he cared. He was going to throw a hissy fit when he found out about this. 

"I won't mess up this time, I promise Charlotte. No more old Clay, just new Clay who has learned from his mistakes."

I shielded my eyes so he could dress. I knew for a fact that he was in dire need of a shower, I guess breakfast would have to wait for a little while longer. He got out of the water, his feet padding over to the rock where his clothes were. I was sitting there, expecting him to be dressing, only to surprise me when I felt him kiss my cheek tenderly. "Thank you Charlotte" he murmured against my skin. "I'll make everything up to you in a even better way, you just wait and see."

I was almost scared of how he was going to make it up to me. The last thing I wanted was for him to spend money on me. I know some guys have the tendency to buy everything to make the girl they're with feel special. I didn't need expensive things to live, I'd rather be here in calm, peaceful Motown than New York any day. It was like having a vacation everyday, of course I never take vacations anymore. 

"Okay, let's go" Clay urged. I opened my eyes, letting him take my hand in his even though I was still a little uncertain about this. His shirtless torso told me it was okay though. I believed it because he was too beautiful not to. There was nothing wrong with second chances.

Clay led us out the woods with a bright smile directed towards me. I clung to him with only a little fear that he was going to disappoint me. "You look beautiful this morning by the way" he told me on the way to his house. 

I smiled, quietly thanking him for his compliment toward my appearance. I could hardly believe so since I didn't even try to find something to wear. He looked over me before actually flirtatiously winking towards my way. My cheeks warmed at the thought of him actually thinking that I looked nice when I probably looked like a train wreck. I've always wanted someone to not care what I looked like and still find me beautiful.

We walked into his house through the back door. He placed his finger over my lips, telling me to be quiet. I gave a nod, letting him know I would. Like a mouse, we snuck upstairs to the hall that led to a door. He opened it and pulled me inside the spacious bedroom.

The only bedroom here that I've seen was Jax's. Clay's room was beautiful. His dressers, bed, and even closet looked hand made out of cedar and were beautifully stained. His covering was a nice shade of forest green that matched the curtains to his only window in this top room. He had his own couch and television. It was like his own bachelor pad up here, complete with a bathroom he hogged to himself. I've got a feeling I'm going to be fighting Avery and Brant soon over who gets to shower first.

"Make yourself at home Charlie, I'm just going to shower and get ready."

I took a seat on the couch in the middle of the left side of the room, away from his bed on the right. Above the door on the wall were two small windows I hadn't noticed that also helped to brighten the room. In the windows were small picture frames of images of a young Clay with a beautiful blond haired lady who I'm presuming is his mother. I sighed at the sight. 

While Clay showered, I wonder what she had been like and if she would have scolded him for doing what he had done to me. Was she as nice as she looked? She seemed like a proud hardworking mother in both photos. In one photo I noticed that she was wearing a apron that looked nothing like the one Clay lied about. The one I had worn was just a pink one with no details or anything, the one in the picture was covered in a sunflower print. 

"She would've loved you."

I look toward the bathroom door, seeing Clay gazing at the photos in the window. He was dressed in some jeans and a black button up shirt, ready to go out for breakfast. "She would've killed me, but admired you for doing this, for giving me another chance to make it right."

His eyes traveled to me, a small smile pulling onto his lips to show he was grateful. I stood to my feet, warily smiling back as he casually strolled across the room. "After breakfast, I wanna take you somewhere I've taken no other girl. You can even ask Brant if I have or not when you go home."

He grabbed ahold of my hand again, but this time he made sure my fingers laced with his. We weren't lovers, but he had no problem acting like we were. I let him lead me downstairs to the front door. He took the keys I had fished out of his pocket earlier and opened the door for me. "I'm buying by the way" he informed, walking out behind me. 

I gave him a look. Clearly I said that I was paying earlier, of course he tuned me out when I mentioned it again. He swung the passenger door open on the old Toyota I had driven last night, motioning me to get inside. "By the way Holt" I said seriously, stepping up to him so he could feel my intimidation. "If you ever think of me less than normal because my father has money, I will break your arms. Got it?" 

He nodded, his pearly whites almost blinding me as he grinned. I got into the truck and buckled myself in. My outfit wasn't going out worthy, I'd just have to buck up and withstand not being in my best. "You're going to love MiMi's. Their food is the absolute best" Clay told me when he got into the truck.

"As long as they have bacon, I'm good."