Chapter 20 (Their Place)

*Brant*

This was wrong, I shouldn't be here, I shouldn't have left her behind like that.

I stared at Darcy's house from my truck, wondering if I should turn around now while I had the chance. Charlotte could be at home crying, wondering why I left her even though she told me to go. Was this one of those things where she said one thing but meant another? Had she wanted me to follow her in and comfort her?

I'll never forget how upset she was. The way she clung to me had been like a starved tiger desperately clawing into their prey. It was hard for her to let me go, it was even harder for me to leave seeing her eyes full of unshed tears that she was trying to pull back. One glimpse in those glistening eyes and I saw that her vulnerability was fading fast. Her eyes were turning to stone, a technic my mother said Lillian had mastered. Now Charlotte knew how to cover up her feelings for someone else's sake.

Charlotte needed me. I would be the only one able to show her that she didn't have to be strong, that I could handle it as long as she got it all out. That's why I couldn't bring myself to go up to Darcy's door at first. Friends don't bail on friends. If I did this, this would be twice that I've abandoned her. Whether she wanted me there of not, I had to go home to her.

I could only hope Darcy could understand.

I got out of the truck, making my way up the gravel pathway that led to the porch of the nice brick home. One knock and the door was excitedly thrown open. There was Darcy, all dressed up and ready to go out for dinner at Peggy Ann's. When I saw how happy she was to see me, that is when I understood why Charlotte wanted me to come. Charlotte couldn't have me, but she knew that Darcy would love to spend time with me.

I wanted to go home, Charlotte's thoughts just wouldn't allow me. Somehow, I know exactly what my best friend is thinking when I needed her advice the most. It was clear she didn't want another girl to get hurt because she was having a hard time, that's just the way Charlotte is, but she never considered how I would feel.

For Charlotte, I wanted to take Darcy out, not for myself. This date wasn't about me anymore, it was about giving Charlotte what she wanted. All she wanted was for a girl to spend time with me in a way I refused to let her do. The stabbing pain of guilt was almost to unbearable to think about.

"You look nice," Darcy complimented. She wrapped her arms around my neck, going in for a sneak attack when she pressed her lips against mine.

My mind reflected back to Charlotte's kiss. Her lips had been so warm and soft against mine. I hadn't been expecting her to do it, but after all this time of being curious as to what it felt like, I finally got to experience it. It was such an innocent kiss, that I had an urge to move my lips and claim dominance over Charlotte's.

I remembered how they trembled, revealing her fears as her lips lingered on mine. I had been too shocked to comfort her or to let her know that it was okay, that I understood now why she was so upset. It scared me how much emotion she put into the faint kiss. For a moment I told myself that it held a even deeper meaning. I've been trying not to think about it since then.

I came out of my mind, pulling away from Darcy when I realized that her kiss wasn't even coming close to what Caroline use to share with me. Neither Caroline or Darcy were a match for that one kiss Charlotte gave to me earlier, or the one I gave to her. Tonight was going to be impossible not to think of her.

Still, with Charlotte in mind, I knew she wanted me to show this girl a good time. I pulled on a smile, took Darcy's hand, and led her to my truck. Like how I've always tried to do for my best friend, I opened the passenger door for Darcy, just to let her know that I was a chivalrous kind of guy.