My Name is Three (chapter 11)

--Vocal recording 66401--Cell 84--

21:48pm

[click]

[pause 42s]

"I've just thought... what's the date today?"

[pause 10s, voices]

"I... I thought so."

[pause 117s]

"Today's my birthday. I'm 19 today."

[pause 34s]

"I remember my last..." [laughter]

[pause 18.5s]

"My eighteenth birthday. It was great fun..."

[pause 19s]

"Still. Why reminisce about the past, when you've got the present and the future, huh?"

[pause 9.5s]

"What happens to dead bodies? That's in the future, isn't it?"

[pause 19s]

"Ah well. Who cares. Happy birthday to me."

[pause 20.5s]

"So... where did we leave off?"

[pause 29.5s, voices]

"Yeah... so, yeah, anyway, err..."

[pause 7s]

"After Twelve had told me about... what had happened... Well, she just... looked kind of sad and tired for a moment... and then smiled, and walked out."

[pause 3.5s]

"None of the others in there were saying anything, or looking at me or anything. Not even Two was looking."

"So... I just got... nervous, and kind of embarassed, after a while, so I... no, no-one seemed to want anything to do with me. So... I walked out of there, too."

[pause 19s]

"All I could see, once I was out of the door, was... A short corridor, with a hatchway leading to a staircase. I couldn't see anywhere else, so I took the staircase. Where Twelve had gone, I don't know. I saw her later, after..."

[pause 11s]

" The stairs led out... onto the roof."

[pause 27s]

"When... when, when I came out onto the roof, I... couldn't beleive it. It was at least 200 feet up, and completly flat. There... there were huge brick chimneys off to one side, they were even higher than..."

[pause 12s, voices]

"I guess it was one of the old abandoned factories. It was huge, so I imagine that it had been used to make... I don't know, it looked about fourty years old, so it was from about the time the Manuductive came to power... so... I don't know. It was, I don't know."

[pause 30s]

"From the roof, I could see... all of London. I could see the Bureau buildings, all seven of them. And I could see...    Low London, the slum towns... and the Manuductive Court, with the clock tower. And... 10 Downing Street, almost filling up the view, all lit by the floodlights..."

[pause 45s]

"And I could see..."

[pause 71s]

"My, My house... I think... with, the, the, the, the smoke... still... and..."

[pause 97s]

"The... I... I..."

[singing, whispered 8.5s] "Happy birthday to me, happy birthday to me, happy birthday dear Three, happy birthday to me..."

[click]

                       ***

[click]

[pause 18s]

"I remember... I stood on the, the roof for a long time, staring at...  before I heard... a sound. It was... music."

[pause 10.5s]

"I looked over, and I saw... Eight. Sitting on the edge of one of the huge metal girders that... came out from the edge of the roof. He... he was... The music was coming from... well, it was... a musical instrument."

[pause 26s, voices]

"I know, I know that. Of course I know that. The ban on musical instruments has been in effect since I was about two. All the sounds they make can be replecated on computers, so... I guess the law came into effect because there was no point in having the instruments anymore."

[pause 12s]

"This one... Eight's... his was... I don't know the name. Oh, yes I do, of course, he told me."

[pause 7s]

"A flute."

[pause 23s] 

"The tune he was playing... I don't know what it was. It was... strange. It was... so sad..."

[pause 45s]

"I don't know why, but it... made me feel safe. comfortable. I... I went over to where he was sitting, right out onto the edge of the girder... I've never been scared of heights in the slightest... and... sat down next to him."

[pause 17s]

"After a while, he stopped playing the music and... spoke to me. He said "Your name is Three. From now on. Do you understand?" I told him I did."

[pause 32s] 

"What comes next... It's..."

[pause 34s]

"Eight was just going to speak again, but suddenly... he, he looked down, saw something... and then just shoved me back onto the roof. He was strong... my feet actually left the ground. And then... a bullet... I think it was a bullet, at least... shattered through the girder where I'd been standing. Eight was already running back toward the door hatch on the roof. I went to follow him, but... before I did, I saw... over the edge of the roof..."

[pause 15.5s]

"It was... Them. Three men, in black coats and black caps..."

[pause 37s]

"That was them. Captain Tisiphone, Captain Megaera... Captain Alecto."

[pause 84s]

"The Enforcement Captains. The Big Bads, their slang name is."

[pause 98.5s]

"And behind them were more Mapmen than I'd ever seen."

[pause 13.5s, voices]

[click]

Hey guys hope u liked it... Chapter 12 and the next chaptr of that "part zero" thing coming soon. Thanx 2 u all as usual..   Comment pleeezzz!!

Oh btw I saw topazfairy's music vids 4 her stories (AWESOME). I can't do that (iPod Internet and all) but here r some songs I think r appropriate 4 my story:

Akon: "Right now (na na)"

The Killers: "Human"

Editors: "Escape the Nest"

Muse: "Resistance", "Uprising" and "Undisclosed desires"

TV on the Radio: "DLZ"

If u haven't heard these, WHY NOT?!?!

Any more u can think of? Pleez say there r... I love all music, and if u can think of any more that r appropriate 2 "3" I'd luv 2 hear about them...