My Name is Three (chapter 5)

--Vocal recording 66396--Cell 84--

    21:46pm

[click]

[pause 34s]

"OK, here we go..."

[pause 3s]

"Where did I finish last time..."

[pause 21.5s, voices]

"Oh yeah. Eight. Yeah, his first words to me were "you don't know what you've let yourself in for"."

[pause 17s]

"I was still scared, but even then I remember thinking that I hadn't "let myself in" for anything. I actually said that to him, later."

[pause 21s, voices]

"No, of course not later the same day. I said that a few weeks later, because it just seemed such a strange thing to say... obviously, that was after he and I... I..."

[pause 15.5s]

"I-I can't. Sorry. I just... can't..."

[click]

                       ***

[click]

[pause 23s]

"Look, d'you mind if..."

[pause 21.5s, voices]

"Fine, OK, fine. Err..."

[pause 16s]

"Eight, and the people around me were... they were the Deus Ex Machina.  Members of it anyway. I found that out later. It's funny, really... The way the news is always talking about them, you'd think they were just another street gang, the type that carries out raids in the industrial district and..."

[pause 18.5s]

"But they're not. They're a rebel group. The kind that the Manuductive spokespeople keep on denouncing as "evil" on the television. Of course, the Manuductive wouldn't mention any group in paticular. I suppose they need a universal enemy that they can direct public hatred at, but they don't want to be too specific... anyway, why speculate?"

[pause 12s, voices]

"They were... they are... organised into various factions, or chapters - I'm getting ahead of myself here, but I don't want to talk about Eight, so I'll carry on - I don't know how many chapters there are in total. No-one does. That's the clever thing about the D.E.M, you see. The complete lack of organisation makes it Manuductive-proof. They never tell one another their real names, they only get the numbers. I-"

[pause 13.5s, voices]

"I'm getting to that. Anyway, yeah..."

[pause 21s]

"... Eight... said that, about me not knowing what I'd... yeah, and then he just turned around and walked out."

[pause 18s]

"I thought about trying to make a run for it, but I wouldn't have got ten yards. There were at least twenty of them. And, after a while..."

[pause 34.5s]

"One of them came up to me. She was a woman, about twenty, wearing a scarf tied around her neck and a load of weird, scrappy clothes. The clothes were what seemed strangest to me... I'd spent my whole life being taught that, when you wore out clothes, even slightly, you just buy new ones. To me, what she was wearing just looked odd."

[pause 13s]

"That was Twelve. The two of us got on well, later, but... I'll always remember what she said to me then."

[pause 13s, voices]

"She said... and these were her exact words..."

[pause 9s]

"She said, "hey, new girl. Let me explain why we burned your house down, huh?""

[pause 7.5s, voices]

[click] 

Part 6 up and coming, guys. Thanx for all your nice comments and 4 voting (I PROMISE I will start voting soon, but as I've said, my iPod touch Internet connection isn't letting me at the moment).