My Name is Three (chapter four)

--Vocal Recording 66395--Cell 84--

    21:49pm

[click]

[pause 42s]

"OK... so do we pick up where we left off?"

[pause 24s, voices]

"And where... Oh, yeah."

[pause 3.5s]

"So... yeah, after I woke up, I saw someone standing over me... Before I got a chance to see them properly, they hit me on top of the head and... well, obviously I don't know, I guess they carried me or put me in a sack or... what?"

[pause 20s, voices]

"I've never been sure myself. It might have been Zero, he was strong enough to carry me, but I'm not certain. Who knows, it might even have been Eight. Anyway, none of them ever owned up. I never asked."

[pause 18.5s]

"Anyway, I'm getting ahead of myself. After I'd been hit, the next thing I remember..."

[pause 12s]

"I was waking up, alone again. I was in a huge room, and it was completely dark. I was there for such a long time. Hours and hours and hours"

[pause 19.5s, voices]

"I think I might have been somewhere in the Industrial District. I sometimes thought I could hear the clock tower ringing, so I must have been over that way - fairly close to the Manuductive Court."

[pause 16s]

"Always been a government building, the Court. Even before the Manuductive came along. I studied it as part of my History coursework."

[pause 32s, voices]

"I know, alright? I know it's besides the point. I don't care. I want to say this."

[pause 17.5s, voices]

"Fine... after, it must have been 7 hours, I heard someone. More than one person. Outside the door to where I was - the door was locked, I'd already tried it - the people sounded as if they were... arguing. And after a while..."

[pause 13s]

"Someone unlocked the door and came in."

[pause 61.5s]

"It was... a man. A boy, really, a little older than me. He was smoking a cigarette, and he was wearing a pair of dark jeans and a synth-leather jacket over a grey T-shirt... he..."

[pause 12.5s] 

"I..."

[pause 17s,voices]

"Yeah, that was Eight."

[pause 50s, voices]

[click]

                        ***

[click]

[pause 19s]

"9 days until my sentence. I still don't know what it'll be."

[pause 13.5s, voices]

"OK... the thing I remember about Eight when I first saw him is how... angry he looked. He was looking right at me and I honestly thought he was going to kill me there and then."

[pause 30s]

"But instead he... he walked up to me and told me to stand up. I remember noticing... 

[laughter]

I remember seeing that he had the number eight actually printed on his T-shirt. Not that it meant anything at the time, obviously.

[pause 25.5s, voices]

"No. I never knew his real name, or any of their real names. They never knew mine."

[pause 26s, voices]

"My real name is recorded in my personal data. You found it out during my trial anyway, so I'm not going to say it. In here, my name is Three."

[pause 31s]

"Anyway... Eight grabbed me by the wrist and sort of dragged me out of the room and down a corridor that was on the other side of the door."

[Pause 21s]

"At the end of the corridor was another room, a smaller one this time. It was dark still, but I could see that this room was full of people. All of them were staring straight at me."

[pause 29.5s]

"After a bit, Eight turned to look at me again. He just stared and stared for ages, and... and I remember being so scared."

[pause 16s]

"Then he just looked kind of tired for a moment, and he said... "You don't know what you've let yourself in for.""

[pause 23.5s]

"I'm not saying any more."

[click]

Sorry this one is a bit shorter than usual, guys; I jst thought this would b a good place 2 stop. Good news is I've got part 5 already sorted and I'm posting it the day after this one is posted.

Thanx as usual 2 all readers, fans and commentors.