My Name is Three (chapter 10)

--Vocal Recording 66400--Cell 84--

21:47pm

[click]

[pause 19s]

"I dreamed last night. A nightmare. Not one of the ones I had as a kid, not the Mapmen one, but a new one."

[pause 11.5s]

"In the dream, I was climbing a spiral staircase up a huge white tower. There were... dead leaves, falling down past me. In the distance, I could hear... voices. Happy voices. Laughing. They sounded like... me."

[pause 16.5s]

"And then... I was standing at the top of the tower, and there were trees, white trees all around. And then... Close up to me, there was... Eight. Smiling at me. And the thing is, Eight never actually smiled, when I knew him. He had... sort of a way of... smiling without moving his mouth..."

[pause 17s]

"As soon as I saw Eight, in the dream, everything was alright... well, I thought it was. But then, just as he was about to speak, there was a noise, and... from the top of the tower, I could see a... thing... moving across the horizon. It was huge, and greyish - white, and it looked... sort of... streched. Huge, long arms and legs. I couldn't see its face. It was moving so slowly, and as it walked, it... reached out across the sky..."

[pause 18.5s]

"I don't know why, but it was so... frightening. So disturbing. I screamed and screamed, and then... I woke up. Still screaming."

[pause 13s]

"Eight..."

[whispering 7s, almost too quiet to be discerned but possibly "Eight... I'm sorry, I'm so sorry. I love you." final three words are repeated several times before lapsing into indescernable whispering]

[click] 

                          ***

[click]

[pause 7s]

"If a dream is a wish then what is a promise?" I read that somewhere, the title of a book chapter, I think."

[pause 20.5s]

"How come you're letting me say this, anyway? This isn't the kind of thing you usually..."

[pause 29.5s, voices]

"Oh, I see. OK, sure, fine..."

[pause 12.5s]

"I remember... after Eight knocked me out with the kreiglight, the next thing I knew... I was waking up, in a dark room. A tiny room, but I could tell that there were a lot of people in there."

[pause 7s]

"Eight... was standing above me. Bowed over me, hands in his jacket pockets, and... smiling without smiling, like he did. When he saw I was awake, he said, "ah, good, you're still alive. Thought I might have killed you."

[pause 13s]

"I sat up, then, and I saw around the room. We were still in London, but... right on the outskirts. I could tell because there was no traffic noise..."

[pause 18.5s]

"All of the D.E.M were there. Twelve was with them. It's terrible, but... I'd sort of hoped the Mapmen might have killed her. She was watching Eight very closely, she looked really angry."

[pause 16.5s]

"Eight said to me, "sorry about the kreiglight in your eyes, but I didn't want you seeing the route here yet."