Bets, Fights and Changing Fate

A week before prom

They forgot about the girl whose body was dumped a few miles from our town.  She was not a local.  She was tattooed and there was evidence of use of drugs.  Her body was probably dumped after accidental overdosage as there were no signs of violence on her, not even bruises.

I was glad because if there is a murderer close to us, Travis would have to hang around to make sure I’m safe.  And I didn’t want to see him again after that night.  I was too embarrassed, too ashamed.

And I believe he feels exactly the same.  He was gone when I woke up the next morning.  Maria, my maid told me that Travis sat on the couch all night.  He waited until the house was up at sunrise and then he left.

“I was startled to find him sitting like a statue on the couch, he was not moving.”  She said.  “He didn’t look like he slept at all.”  Well, he wasn’t the only one who was not able to sleep that night.

That last thing he said to me was that he didn’t want to be in the same room as I am.  He was a gentleman.  He didn’t say the words to my face.  He didn’t want me and it’s best he walks away.

“Cindy, if you were a guy, would you find me attractive?”  I asked Cindy at lunch Monday.

She laughed.  “What sparked this?”

I sighed.  Even my girl best friend couldn’t answer me right away.

“Nothing.”

She narrowed her eyes.  “You have to tell me!”

“Nothing.”

“I know it’s something!  And you have to tell!”

I know Cindy would never stop.  And I was dying to talk to somebody anyway.

“I… sort of… threw myself at Travis a week ago.”

“What?!”

I covered my face with my palms.  “I know!  I was stupid!”

“What… what did he do?”

I sighed.  “At first… he… sort of kissed me back when I kissed him.  And then… I told him to take me.  He… came back to his senses.  He told me he didn’t want to be in the same room as I am.  He went down and spent the night in our living room.”

Cindy was dumbfounded.  I stared at her wearily.  “Wow!  Travis must have such a great deal of self-control, huh.”

“What?” 

“Sweetheart, you… are absolutely beautiful!  Your reddish blond hair and beautiful gray eyes… you’re one of the most attractive girls in the campus.”