The other member of the family

My parents are going to kill me!  My best friend Cindy asked me to come with her to some kid’s party.  I didn’t want to go but she sort of begged me.  I told my parents I was just going to hang out with some kids from school.  Since I have always been a good, responsible kid, they said yes the first time I asked.

“But be home before midnight, okay?”  My Mom reminded me.

“I’m sure I won’t be long.”  I said to her.  And I have every intention of keeping that promise.

Little did I know that Cindy had other plans of her own.  When we got there, she drank almost every glass of alcohol that was shoved into her hands.  She danced to her heart’s desire and flirted with the older guys. 

I was babysitting her.  We were only fourteen and I was most certain we shouldn’t be even be partying at all, least of all, drinking.

I was aching to go.  But I was most certainly unable to.  I cannot leave my best friend in a sea full of sharks looking for fresh meat.  I kept glancing at the clock.  It was past midnight and Cindy has no intention of going home just yet.

“My parents are going to kill me!”  I said to her.  “And you’ve already drank too much.”

“Chill out, Miss Prudy!”  She said to me with a giggle.  “We’ll go home soon.  Give me a few more minutes.”

Yeah right!  Her minutes became hours.  And when the clock struck three, I mustered all my courage to dial Cindy’s brother’s number.

In a few minutes, her brother was dropping me off in front of my house.

“Thanks for looking out for her.”  Josh said.  “You’re a good friend.”

I nodded and then went to my front porch.  Nervously, I opened the door.  The whole house was quiet.  Everybody was sleeping.  I have never broken my parents’ rules before.  That’s why they trusted me so much.  My elder brother was a responsible kid too.  Now, I’m really hating Cindy for putting me through this.

I removed my shoes and tiptoed to the stairs.  I didn’t want to wake up anybody.  I can deal with my parents tomorrow morning.  But I didn’t want to be caught red-handed.  Moreover, I don’t want them to think that Cindy is not a good influence on me. 

Our house has four bedrooms.  My brother’s room is the first one when you reach the top of the stairs, opposite the guest bedroom.  Mine is across my parents’ further down the hall.

The corridor was dark.  I walked carefully towards my room.

Just then, I heard a clicking of locks and a twisting of a doorknob.  It took me a moment to realize that it was coming from my parents’ bedroom.

Shit!  I’m doomed for sure!

It could be my Mom, on her way to get milk or water from the kitchen.