Virgin Mary

Senior Year

 I was in love with Trip Jacobs.  He was the captain of the basketball team, one of the most popular jocks in campus.  He is cute with blond hair and hazel eyes.  For months, my world revolved around basketball leagues.  I never missed a game.  I especially love it when he shoots three points, looks at the crowd at the bleachers, puts his palm to his chest, holds it out to the crowd.  I know it meant that shot was for me.

 After Liam, I dated another guy before Trip.  David was head of the debate team.  This one is smart and funny as well as cute.  I thought we both have a connection.  We went out for the whole year.  We made out a lot.  Then he went to a ski trip with his family.  I see less of him after that.  And then one night, he had a glum look on his face and told me that he had not been honest with me.  He’s been seeing someone else behind my back.  He ended it with her, but he wanted to be honest with me.  He said that it was just all sex and nothing else, and it was over.  But I couldn’t take him back after that.  I could not bring myself to kiss him knowing that he might have been kissing someone else or doing worse things to her.

 “Now, I’m a senior, still a virgin and dating the hottest guy in campus.”

 “No offense, sweetie, but I do not think he’s the hottest guy in campus.”  Cindy said.  “He’s hot, yes.  But not really the hottest.”

 “He’s the hottest of all my boyfriends.”  I said.

 “I don’t know.  You have a thing for blond guys.  I find them… a little meek.”  She giggled.

“Okay, if Trip is not the hottest guy in campus, then who is?  I mean… he’s the captain of the basketball team, he has a Porsche, he’s a straight A student and he looks like Barbie’s Ken with hazel eyes.”

“Well, you know me.  We’ve always had different tastes.  I wonder why we’re best friends.”

I laughed.  “Alright.  I wonder who you find worthy of being called the ‘hottest’ guy in campus then?”

She stared at the ceiling thoughtfully and then said, “Travis Cross.”  She said.

“Amen!”  Amanda Jones, who has her locker beside Cindy, said.  She beamed at us.  “No offense too, Brittany.  Trip is hot.  But Travis Cross?  Out of this world hot!”  And she stormed away.

Well, I guess even I couldn’t refute that.  Travis is easily the hottest guy I’ve met but growing up with him, and hating him from the beginning, and now becoming some sort of replacement brother and guardian to me, makes it difficult for me to look at him in a sexual way.

“By the way, you never told me if Travis agreed to the favor you asked him.”  Cindy asked.

I nodded.  “But I doubt I’ll have to call that favor in anyway.”  I said.  “I’m positive that I’ll be married before I’m thirty.  Who knows?  It might be Trip.”  And I smiled at her widely.

“If Travis Cross was my safety guy, honey, I’ll do whatever it takes to stay single until the deadline so he’ll be honor-bound to marry me!”  She giggled.

“Then I’ll die a virgin!”  I rolled my eyes.  “We agreed to get married then, but not to sleep together.”