Unwanted or unlucky?

A month before Prom

Senior Year

Friday

Prom is a month away and my relationship with Trip is getting deeper.  He is making some advances to be more intimate so I’m pretty positive that prom night is the night.

We were in his car and he deepened the kiss.  He nuzzled my neck and he started to reach behind to unhook my bra.  I pushed him slightly.

“Trip… wait.”  I said gently.  “Can we wait?  Prom?”

He stared at me for a while and he sighed.  “You’re right.  I’m sorry.  It’s your… first time.  It shouldn’t be at the back of a car.”  He chuckled and the he reached forward and gave me a smack on the lips.

“Thank you.”  I said.

He nodded and then he turned to start the car.  He was quiet the rest of the way, and somehow, I was not sure what he was thinking.

He stopped in front of my house.  “Good night.”  He said.  He smiled at me.  “So I guess, prom night’s it for us?”

I smiled at him shyly and then I nodded.  In my mind, I was thinking he’ll rent out a hotel suite where we can spend the night in, candles and roses all over the place.  It will be romantic.  It will be a night I would remember for the rest of my life.

I was dreamy when I got home.  I took a long bath in chamomile and jasmine.  I dreamt of how it was going to be like for me and Trip.  After prom, nobody would talk behind my back anymore.  Nobody would accuse that something was wrong with me.

I dried my hair and put on a pair of pajamas.  I giggled to myself when I stared at my reflection.  I was wearing a purple pajama and pink sleeveless top.  I should remember to stop by a lingerie shop before prom.  Maybe a pair of silk camis and Victoria Secret night gowns would come in handy for me in the future.

I dialed Trip’s number as I lied on my bed.  It was busy.  I tried about ten times, it was still busy.  I decided to wait for ten more minutes then I tried again, he was not picking up.  I decided I was going to wait fifteen minutes more.  But I dozed off. 

In my dreams, I dreamt of candles, roses, the sweet smell of flowers all over the place, Enya plays in the background.  He kissed me gently, thoroughly and then he took off my clothes.  I couldn’t see his face, but I was pretty sure it was Trip.  He’d been so gentle with me.  He knew it was my first time.  Then it happened.  There was a tearing pain, I cried, he held me in his arms gently and offered whatever amount of comfort he could.  He kissed me again and told me he was sorry for hurting me and he was so gentle I almost wanted to cry again.

Just then, I woke up.  I found myself lying in my bed alone.  I looked at the time.  It was past midnight already.  I looked at my phone to see if Trip retuned my calls, but he didn’t.

I caught a movement in front of me.  There was a figure on my couch.  I immediately turned on my bedside table and found Travis sitting on the couch at the foot of my bed, his eyes closed.