The Beach House

The Beach House Weekend

“Pack your bags.”  Tom said, barging into my rooms.

“We’re running away?”  I asked lazily.  “What did our parents do?”

“They’re sending you back to the orphanage where they got you.”  Travis said with a smirk when he appeared on the door of my room.

“Is that the same orphanage where your parents got you?  How come I didn’t see you there before?”  I shot back.

“Because I got adopted the first day I was there.  Some of us are just too adorable when we were babies.  You… you stayed there for at least five years.”  Travis said seriously.  How can he insult and joke like this so convincingly?

“And what happened now?  Your parents realized it was a mistake to adopt you?”  I asked raising a brow at him.

His face hardened for a second and then he disguised the hurt look on his face with a smirk.  “No.  I decided I didn’t want them.”  He said.  His voice told me that I hit a nerve… something he’s sensitive about.

“It must be a relief for them, huh.”

He raised a brow at me.  “Yes.  But that’s bad news for you, isn’t it?  Because everyday I couldn’t stand to be with my folks only mean I would be here to annoy you.  And I prefer that any day.”  Then he winked at me and walked away, not giving me a chance to retaliate.

I glared at him.  “Tom, remind me again why you picked that punk to be your friend?”  I turned to my brother, who wasted no time getting my luggage bag out of my cabinet and filling it with my clothes.

I stood up from my bed and shoved Tom.  He’s already packed half of my things for me.

“Travis is a good guy, Brianne.  Actually more than good.  He’s great.”  Tom said.  “He has a troubled home.  We’re the only family he knows now.  So please, it would mean a lot to me if you try being nice to him.”

I rolled my eyes.  “And you don’t ask him to be nice to me?”

“No.”  Tom shook his head.

“That’s unfair!”

Tom sighed.  “I have my reasons, little sister.”  He said.  “I love you both.  But no.  You wouldn’t want to see the charming side of that guy.”

“I’m sure I cannot see what doesn’t exist.”

Tom chuckled.  “It does exist.  You will be surprised how soft-hearted Travis could be.  But let’s give it to him.  He prefers to be a tough nut and I think he’ll need that more to survive in his world.”

“Where are we going anyway?”  I asked.

“To Travis’s grandparents’ beach house.”

“Why?”