Chapter 31- Media Bait

Chapter 31

Date: April 8th

Time: 11:03 a.m.

Location: Apartment in Miami, Florida

I stared at them in shock. Was this real? Were they really here? They gave me a reassuring smile and shifted on their feet uncomfortable with the stares they were getting. They hadn’t changed a bit. The hair was the same length, the same color, the wrinkles hadn’t become more prominent and the glasses were still perched on their nose. A figure from behind them steps forward and I resist the urge to gasp again.

“Hello Aura.” They said, Lucia said.

Lucia and Chris stood in my living room as if it were no big deal. I hadn’t seen them for just over three years and they were here at my house. A million questions popped to the front of my mind but I couldn’t get my mouth to work to ask them.

“Hi.” I manage to choke out and even then it sounded strangled.

An awkward silence settled in the room, my anger at Valentin was currently on the backburner but what had just happened a few moments ago still happened. John threatened Valentin, Valentin called me a whore and I was putting him in his place, none of that went away, it was merely put on hold.

“Who are you?” Valentin asked icily. I smacked his arm and glare at him resisting to cradle my hand to my chest, his arm felt like steel.

“I’m so sorry we didn’t introduce ourselves.” Chris said taking a step forward. “My name is Chris and this is my wife Lucia.” He outstretched his hand for Valentin to shake; Valentin instead glared at it and didn’t make any move to be nice.

“We knew Aura back when she was in high school.” Lucia tried to ease the tense situation. “We-“

“I know exactly who you are.” Valentin spat out cutting her off. “Leave.”

“Valentin,” I cry outraged and turn to Lucia and Chris. “You can stay here as long as you like.”

“No they can’t.” Valentin argues. “Don’t you understand who they are?”

“Yes I do and I don’t see the big deal.” I cross my arms irritated.

“Don’t understand who they are?” Valentin sputters out looking at me incredulously. “In case you have forgotten they are the reason you are on the list, they are the reason Lockstar is tracking you. I don’t know about anyone else but I don’t exactly feel comfortable being in the same state as them let alone the same room.”

“Then we’ll go.” Chris said. “We only wanted to see you.”

“Wait.” I call and they stop in their tracks. I look to the others and see that they have chosen Valentin’s side, I was on my own with this. “I’ll come with you.”

“Aura!” John says shocked.

“I’ll come back but I would like to talk with them for a few moments without you guys having to worry.”

“In case you have forgotten Aura you don’t have the best track record of going off on your own.” Valentin says his stare rooting me to the spot.

“Well unless you would care to join me I’m going on my own.”

“Aura,” Fran calls.

“What now?”

“You’re in your pajamas.”