Chapter 5- Fireworks

Chapter 5

Date: July 23rd

Location: In car driving to Vilnius

Time: 12:52 p.m.

I shifted in my seat again and wished that the air conditioner was better in this hunk of junk car. I yawned and rubbed my eyes to at least remain semi awake; I hadn’t gotten a good night’s sleep last night. Or any other night for that matter. Ever since I got to Kaunas I couldn’t shake the paranoia that was following me around, the constant feeling that someone was going to come and snatch me up or kill me.

Rae had started to notice that dark bags under my eyes and became like a second mother worrying and fretting over my physical state wondering if I got any disease. I lied to her and said it was from the time difference but she started to see that I was lying after the first couple of weeks.

Lyla, my friend that I met at the café was driving, and Matt was in the back seat yammering on and on about how cool the fireworks were going to be. Apparently there was some type of competition to see whose fireworks were the best.

I first walked into the café the second day I was here to grab some food and look for a job seeing as I was hesitant on using a credit card and I didn't have much actual cash to go on. So far I had a couple good jobs circled when hot coffee was spilled on me, I swear to god that scene was familiar, and one of the waitresses, Lyla, started apologizing over and over. I smiled and said it was fine while trying to get the coffee off my clothes and the paper. She saw that I was looking for a job and put a good word in to her boss for me and I got the job the next day, we were friends since then but it didn’t help that I was feeling like I was betraying Sam by getting a new friend. Lyla actually had red hair that was beautiful and wasn’t fake at all like my wig and had green eyes. She was Irish and her skin was paler than mine which was an amazing feat to accomplish.

Matt was one of Lyla’s friends who I specifically asked if he was gay or not, awkward moment. He had a girlfriend that was studying abroad in England and was madly in love with her so I had no worries. Matt had the boy next door look with soft brown hair and eyes and he just screamed comfort, his girlfriend was lucky. He was also a computer geek like me. I of course had to tone down what I knew so he didn’t look at me like I had a third eye and a second head.

Right now both of them were dragging me to Vilnius which had fireworks that could rival the 4th of July ones back at home so they had to take me and they didn’t take no for an answer. I accepted thinking that this was a good idea, to get away, to forget everything for a while. I mean just because I’m in a different country and living in a different house doesn’t mean I know the exact reason I am there and am reminded of it daily.

“What do you do at night?” Lyla said looking at me in the corner of her eye while still driving carefully.

“Lyla we have talked about this before.” Matt chirped up from the back. “She is a super hero that fights crime and defeats the bad guys. Or she is a stripper.”

I turn around to glare at him playfully and he just gives me a cocky smile knowing that I won’t do a thing to him. I sit back in my seat and look out the window admiring the beautiful view of traffic. I yawn again and wished that I kept it in as Lyla starts to go off again.

“Marge really.” I cringe on the inside at my fake name. How can these people even be my friends if they don’t know who I really am? “Why aren’t you sleeping at night?”

I think someone is stalking me.

“I just can’t fall asleep.” I lie.

“Maybe she has insomnia.” Matt murmurs from the back.