Chapter 11- Get the money and run

Chapter 11 

Date: July 30th

Location: Cloud Gate Sculpture (More commonly known as the Bean)

Time: 8:07 p.m.

I sat under the big silver contraption typing on my computer. I was trying to get onto Lamour’s mini profile that Lockstar would have for them, but it was proving to be more difficult then I had previously imagined.

The sun was almost down and the last few rays still spilled out onto the sky. The lights were being turned on so tourists could still see the bean. I walked out to my ‘station’ first while Iris went in the trees to look for any other cops and Fran was instructed to wait five minutes before walking out. I had to stay close by in case I needed to make a problem arise that the cops would have to leave for.

I had spotted the men immediately. There were 3 guys standing in a clump wearing out dated jeans and shirts looking like a stick was rammed up their asses. They scanned the area every few seconds and one of them was holding a conspicuous bag that no doubt held the money. Two others circled the perimeter looking, or attempting to look like tourists.

I walked out looking like what I hoped a normal tourist would look like, dazed and starry eyed (kind of how a drunken person looks) and went under the Bean. I took a seat on the cool ground and watched my reflection as I typed away on my computer surprised at how much had changed in the past few years.

I remembered walking down here when the Bean was still being built. I had asked mom to take me but something was always in the way, something always came up. One day Lucia found me crying outside my house, I was upset that I couldn’t see the now second largest tourist attraction being built, so she and Chris took me.

At first it was just a bunch of poles and wires being clumped together to make a shape. Then there was an outside layer to help form it but it was clear so you could see what looked like the inside of a space ship. For a couple of weeks they had a couple characters from the Simpsons in there frozen in action. I still don’t know if they took the figurines out or just left them in there and painted the last of the sculpture.

By the time it was done I had mastered hacking. I felt and practically knew I was the best of the best, not that anyone knew, or at least that is what I thought.

The sculpture was given the name Cloud Gate, but everyone just called it the Bean because that was what it looked like and it was easier to remember.

I look up at my reflection again and remember the warm summer day where I dragged Sam down underneath here when there was a huge crowd of people. We came here as a vacation and couldn’t pass up seeing this. After squeezing through many tourists we laid down on the ground took pictures of our reflections. It was only after a lady yelled at us that we left.

Now I sat here hacking into Lockstar’s profile database trying to contact a killer. Life really likes to mess with you.

“Hello gentlemen.” A suave voice says. I break out of my memories and look outside the Bean to see Fran standing confidently at the men. No one was here and her voice carried making this the perfect spot for me. “You have my money?”

“You have our jewel?” She lets out a small laugh and pulls out the jewel that is wrapped in the cloth.

“Your jewel? I thought it was the museums.”

“Whatever it doesn’t matter, give it to us.” One of the men said threateningly and took a step forward.

“Ah, ah, ah.” Fran says taking a step back. “We wouldn’t want anything to happen to this now would we?” The men relax their posture but still remain tense if that’s possible.