A little girl talk

“Your family is weird with this tradition.”  My best friend, Cindy said.

“I know.  But it is scary.  And you only get one chance to find out whether or not the curse will actually affect you!”  I groaned.

“What if you don’t find him at that age?  I mean, nowadays, women do not get married at that age!”

“I will find him.”  I said, and I was quite determined of this.  “I will not be a subject of gossip in my family reunions.  It’s the least that I could do my mother after all the tragedy that happened to my family.”  I said.

“How are you holding up?”

I sighed.  It’s been a while since Tom died.  Sometimes, I still wake up in bed crying my heart out as if it only happened yesterday.

“I don’t think it’s going to get better, Cindy.”  I replied.  “Especially when I go home and find that neither of my parents have come home.  I fend for myself nowadays.  Sometimes, they even forget to check up on me.”  I sighed sadly.  My parents chose to mourn in their own worlds.  “I feel alone.  If Travis is not around, I would be worse than an orphan.”

Cindy raised her brow.  “Travis who?”

I forgot I barely talk about Travis.  There was nothing to talk about anyway.  Once in a while he gives me a call on the phone, to ask me if I was doing okay.  On some occasions, we run into each other in the streets, and we would go for coffee to catch up.  Even though we barely see each other, somehow, when I’m with him, I almost feel like I am with Tom.  I know Tom would have wanted the two of us to get along well.  And even though I know that Travis didn’t like me as much as I hated him in the past, we had to sort of stick it together… for Tom’s sake.  And apart from that, it seems that I’ve lost my parents too and Travis had been the only reminder that I used to have a family.

“Travis Cross.”  I replied.

She sat up on her bed and stared at me in awe.  “You’re joking!”

I stared at her with a raised brow.  “No.  And why will I joke?”

“As in the Travis Cross?  Dark hair, crystal blue eyes?  Perfect abs?”

I stared at her as if she was the weirdest creature I’ve seen in my life.  “Well, the Travis I was talking about has blue eyes, dark hair, with streaks of dark blond and I’m not interested in his torso area to know whether or not he has perfect abs.”

“Yes!  That Travis Cross!”  She said excitedly.  “Are you dating him without telling me?”

“Of course not!”  I replied rolling my eyes.  “He is… was Tom’s best friend.”

“And you didn’t tell me this?”

I grunted.  “There was no reason to.”  I replied.  “I hate… hated Travis when Tom was alive.  I couldn’t understand why an angel such as Tom could be best friends with a devil such as Travis.”