Chapter 2

Rosalind POV:

Weak sunlight hit my face, waking me up instantly. I opened my eyes, yawning. I bolted upright as memories from yesterday came rushing back. I twisted, looking for Fluffy with a bolt of affection. He had saved me from Oliver. I grinned when I saw him still sleeping. I scratched behind his ear gently. He snuffled lightly, licking his nose. I giggled and looked up at the sky, judging the time. I guessed that it was around 5am. Plenty of time to have some fun. I put my mouth next to his ear, breathing softly into it. His ear flicked, as if dismissing a fly. Stifling my giggles,'Fluffy...' I whispered softly. 
He grunted and rolled over, accidentally taking me with him. It ended up with me lying underneath him. I squealed in shock, immediately wriggling to get away from him. Jeez, he sure was a heavy sleeper. 

When I finally managed to get out from under him, the sunlight was a tad stronger. I puffed, laughing at the whole situation. I wandered away from Fluffy, following the sound of a stream. I reached the stream about five minutes later. I cupped the cool, fresh, sweet water and drank until my thirst was quenched. A rusting came from the bushes on other side of the stream and I looked up, immediately on alert. A white wolf, about half the size of Fluffy, emerged. The wolf was slender, so I assumed that it was a girl. She lowered her head and bared her teeth, a ferocious snarl ripping from her throat. I froze in panic. She bunched her muscles, crouching, her gaze fixed on me. A second before she leaped, I squeezed my eyes shut and screamed a high pitched scream. 

As I prepared myself for the impact, a thunderous, menacing growl came from behind me. The next thing I heard was a splash as the two wolves fell into the stream, then the sounds of fighting. I opened my eyes cautiously to see Fluffy pinning the she wolf down. He barked a loud, clear bark and she immediately froze. Fluffy nipped her neck before stepping off of her. Fluffy glared at her as she scrambled out of the stream and into the forest. Fluffy snorted crossly, shaking his head, and stalked over to me - still stiff legged with anger. He shook himself dry and gently bent his head and grabbed my waist in his jaws. I felt like a naughty wolf cub, being picked up and carried away. I started squirming and he growled in warning. I went limp again. He stalked into the clearing and set me down. He crouched over me and glared at me. I cringed in fear, automatically curling into a ball. A second later, I heard him sigh before whining and nudging me with him nose. I opened my eyes and he licked my cheek. I laughed and wiped away his slobber. His eyes were full of concern. Filled with happiness that he was only looking out for me, I wrapped my arms around his neck. 

'Oh geez,' I muttered, glancing up at the sky. 
It was time for school. I had to get my stuff from Oliver's. 'I need to go back to my house and get my stuff for school, Fluffy, will you please come with me?' I asked softly, gazing into his piercing gray eyes. 
He pressed his nose into my cheek before standing up and stretching. 'Ill take that as a yes,' I muttered, standing up as well. 

We walked in silence to my house. I quietly told Fluffy that he could go now and that I would be fine because Oliver wasn't there. He licked my cheek and pressed his face into the crook of my neck. I wrapped my arms around him tightly. Then I pulled away, smiling back at Fluffy over my shoulder. He whined softly before turning and loping into the woods. I walked inside, shutting the door behind me before wincing and allowing myself to limp. 
'Hello, skank.' Oliver greeted me quietly from the kitchen. 
My eyes widened in fear. He was holding a knife, a wicked gleam in his eyes. Before I could run, he grabbed me and viciously sliced several times on my side and stomach. When I fell to the ground in pain, he stepped hard on my leg. He punched my cheek, bruises and swelling appearing within moments. He grinned evilly at me before walking off, leaving me crumpled in the kitchen doorway, bleeding. Gasping, I crawled into my bedroom and retrieved my first aid kit from under my bed. I took of my top and wrapped bandages from the bottom of my bra to the top of my shorts. I winced at the raging pain, but tried to ignore it. Glancing at my leg and not noticing sever injuries, I left it. I crawled over to my mirror and examined my face. There was a dark purple bruise on my cheek. I grimaced and changed into my school uniform and grabbing my bag. I thanked the cold weather and grabbed a baggy hoodie that was the uniform color and put it on so that the hood covered my face. I grabbed my bag and raced downstairs, knowing that I was late. It was already quarter past nine, and school started at nine.